ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default too much effort?!

I love to cook! and love tasty spicy food. meat and te veg really bores both me and dh. a friend and i were recently talking about what we were making for dinner and how i hate ready meals and jars and packets and her reply was wow you make way too much effort just go for something easy... so my question is what are some examples of everyday dinners in your home?

il start:

homemade lasagna with pan fried greens and olive bread

prawn and fish Thai green curry with rice

marinated chicken breast with salad and stuffed jacket potatoes

chicken or beef Indian Curry with rice and naan

crumbed parmesan chicken with dijon soy and honey greens and homemade wedges

please say im not the only one who likes too cook my family nice food?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not the only one!

Although your dinners sound a little fancier than mine, I refuse to buy pre-made things or jars you simply chuck in with meat. So i'll make pasta sauces, pizza, lasagna, curries, garlic bread, wedges, coleslaw, marinades,etc by buying the most basic ingredients and going from there.
    Things like those ready made lasagnas from woolies just look revolting, I couldn't eat it!! I think its so much better to know whats going in there, and I'm sure its cheaper

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischa44 For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    All sounds pretty normal to me DP thinks I'm fussy because I think tinned food tastes like tin lol. It's gross. I don't think cooking is difficult, especially considering I don't do the dishes afterwards

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (11-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I cook most stuff from scratch. It's not just because I know what's going into it, it's also because it's cheaper..

Those packets and sauces are so much more expensive and if you have a pantry that you keep well stocked you can always whip something up.

Don't get me wrong though, I'll use fresh packet pasta for a quick meal (with home made sauce), pre crumbed schnitzels or fish ( with fresh veg or salad) or even a pre stuffed chicken to make things a little easier for a roast but that's about it. I wouldn't buy a pre prepared meal unless we were having a take away night, which is a rarity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I forgot to say - I agree, it isn't too much effort or too hard to do.
    But I'm still perfecting my yoghurt and waiting for DF to get me that breadmaker he keeps going on about

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No I cook too! Sauces are all from scratch. Gravy and snitzel and wedges. Heaps cheaper than pre made and tastes yummier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find that jars and sauces are really handy for if I'm sick and struggling. Then I might just throw in a jar of pasta sauce and pasta, some vegies and cheese, or make nachos with an el dorado nacho sauce and corn chips.

But otherwise a standard week might be: stir fry and noodles and home made spring rolls, shepherd's pie, enchilada's (bit of a cheat cause I use enchildada kit with fresh chicken mince and veges yummo), chickpea and lentil curry, a roast, pumpkin and spinach cannelloni, leek and chicken rice, pasta chicken and broccili in white cheesy sauce.

I'm no great cook at all (DH would back that up) and all those meals are pretty basic but I mostly cook from scratch with fresh ingredients. Like I said though, shortcut meals can be a saviour when sick as a dog.

I'm getting hungry now!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Depends.

For me - right now -Yep, its too much effort.

If dinner can't be prepared one handed and only involve like 4 ingredients max to avoid having to go to multiple locations in the supermarket, then yep, too much effort.

My veggies right now come from a bag in the freezer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I read a great blog post about making life easier yesterday but I can't find the link anywhere. . The point of it was that in the hectic life of a mum, sometimes it's ok not to cook everything from scratch. The important thing is that our kids & we get healthy food at a reasonable hour.

Lots of people are not good cooks and the type of meals you describe OP would overwhelm a lot of people. My dh & I love to cook and rarely follow a recipe book (except when baking) and we're confident that the meals will taste ok (and usually they do).

So, yes for some people it's not worth the stress to completely cook from scratch, even if it might be healthier or cheaper.