+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by pianolady View Post
    my dd is senitive to tomatoe products. also, she can no have oranges, lemons etc. does citric acid cause problems? also, where do you get your organics from? i would need to shop online. also, i read organic fruit and veg isn't always a good idea.
    DD doesn't tolerate citrus and tomatoes - though at nearly 7 she can have them in small amounts - but citric acidwas fine. I've used citric acid in dressings, marinades, drinks and baking for years without reaction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I don't think there is a Vegemite type spread that does not contain yeast extract ( MSG) I've looked at mighty mite and promite and they both have it!
    Yeah, I thought so. But I was kind of hoping there was something I had missed.

That's really the only drama we have and of course its DD2 and not one of the other two that love vegemite. She has never liked anything else at all on her toast and isn't too happy about just nuttlex. Sandwiches were ok even though she loves vegemite or ham or devon. I was able to steer her towards having chicken without any real dramas.

Quote Originally Posted by Plan2bamummy View Post
    I really need to read up on this, didn't even think about yellow in cheese. I've been avoiding shop custards due to the "natural" yellow
    Yes. When we first looked at it all I didn't think of that either and the yogurts. The margarines and ice cream surprised me too. Especially ice cream, I mean it starts out white anyway so I can't figure out why they feel the need to add colour to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pianolady View Post
    my dd is senitive to tomatoe products. also, she can no have oranges, lemons etc. does citric acid cause problems? also, where do you get your organics from? i would need to shop online. also, i read organic fruit and veg isn't always a good idea.
    I am lucky enough to have a great organic shop in the next suburb or there is a huge organic supermarket in Rozelle in Sydney, not sure where you are but most states now have on line organic shops
    not sure what you mean by organic fruit and vegg not a good idea? There are certain fruits/vegg you should get organic like apples ( part of the 12 dirty dozen ) but avocados ( where you don't eat the thick skin ) are ok

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are testing the waters with becoming additive free too. Like OP Erinn, I thought we were already pretty good, but I was a little misguided and was focusing a lot on monitoring sugar and flavours/colours, but now Im not so concerned with sugar and instead focus entirely on additives. Its such a learning curve though! I just read this thread and learnt about the 5% thing and also that tasty cheddar cheese can be a biggie! Gah. Add that to the list.

My ds eats porridge or weetbix for brekky, fruit and yogurt for morning tea, peanut butter or avocado and ham (preservative and additive free apparently? Champagne leg ham from Coles deli...?) sandwich for lunch, homemade muffin or raffertys garden fruit bar and fruit for arvo tea and family meal for dinner.

Love this thread for ideas and tips

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many 'natural' colours are still additives and considered dangerous under additive alert guidelines. For example red/pink natural colouring is cochineal (or carmine). Cochineal is a bug that is squashed up. Cochineal/carmine is e120 and has been linked to hyperactivity in children.

I buy natural food colourings (made from beetroot, pumpkin, carrot) etc for icing cupcakes, making my own 'hundreds and thousands' etc. google hullabaloo as one source of such natural food dye.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't change her diet without having some tests done first. Otherwise you may never be able to confirm exactly what she is allergic/intolerant to, and you could be cutting out things that you don't need to.

Seeing a pediatrician would be a good place to start.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I am lucky enough to have a great organic shop in the next suburb or there is a huge organic supermarket in Rozelle in Sydney, not sure where you are but most states now have on line organic shops
    not sure what you mean by organic fruit and vegg not a good idea? There are certain fruits/vegg you should get organic like apples ( part of the 12 dirty dozen ) but avocados ( where you don't eat the thick skin ) are ok
    I have recently adopted failsafe as my dd was diagnosed ADHD. I'm only one week in, so still getting my head around it all. I think I read the organic being not always the best option is in regard to the salicylates in some fruit and veg. Salicylates are the natural chemical that protect plants from pests and disease, so when grown organically they may produce more salicylate to compensate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post
    I wouldn't change her diet without having some tests done first. Otherwise you may never be able to confirm exactly what she is allergic/intolerant to, and you could be cutting out things that you don't need to.

Seeing a pediatrician would be a good place to start.
    Doing the basic failsafe/RPAH elimination diet and subsequent challenges should be done with the guidance of a dietician.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by maddysmama View Post
    I have recently adopted failsafe as my dd was diagnosed ADHD. I'm only one week in, so still getting my head around it all. I think I read the organic being not always the best option is in regard to the salicylates in some fruit and veg. Salicylates are the natural chemical that protect plants from pests and disease, so when grown organically they may produce more salicylate to compensate.
    Ahh I thought you meant in general! We are lucky none of us have any salicylate reactions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for all the new info So far we are not failsafe so still eating all fruits etc and just focusing more on the additives. I have stopped the dried fruit/sultanas though and tomatoes for the time being as I read they could be some of the worst triggers for kids.

Had an absolutely amazing day with her today. Thought seeing as we were onto a good week I would be brave and tackle the shops as I needed to get some new gym gear. She happily sat in her pram and chatted to me while we went to 3 different shops and I tried things on without so much as a whinge, until right at the end where she put her hands over her eyes and I asked her is she had had enough, she said yep and we went home. This is the child that in the very recent past I couldn't even go to the shops for a quick trip for a loaf of bread or some milk without a screaming meltdown! I am !!!

So far her behaviour is really just improving beyond belief. I was supposed to have an appt with our GP today to talk about this stuff but it got cancelled so I hope I will get into chat to her soon. I want to find out whether it is worth going to see a dietician or something and doing the whole failsafe diet or what to do now. For those already gone down this path what is the next step - keep going as is or try to work out exactly what it is that is triggering things for her? And is that only possible via an elimination diet or are there tests for intolerances in the same way there are allergy tests?

Also for Dannielle - dont quote me on it, you might have to check it out yourself, but I have seen mentioned around that there is a product in the health food section called vege-spread which is a safe alternative for vegemite. I saw it the other day but couldnt bring myself to buy it, didnt have a good look at the label though. I'm only going by what I've seen elsewhere.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to erinn For This Useful Post:

Missbean  (18-12-2012)