+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Renovating and dust :-( How to get rid of it!!!

After some Advice. We are renovating, have taken out back wall of house, put up new room and plastered it. There is dust everywhere and it just keeps coming. I'm so paranoid that me and my babies are breathing in all this dust (from plaster, bricks, insulation fibers -new stuff)... How can I get rid of the dust.

I already cant sleep cos i'm so scared we are going to end up with lung cancer or something so please dont scare me anymore. I panic all the time about it. I want to move out but cant!!! Anyway... so I wipe down tables benches, mop sweep etc... then I run my hand along the clean surface at the end of the day and there is dust! What can I do... I'm thinking of an air purifier, but dont know where to start with those. I'm not using my central heating so as not to put the dust up into the air (or circulate it through the duct system)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Buy those disposable chux wipes you get in a huge roll from Big W or hardware stores maybe even the supermarket and wet them with water then wipe away dust and throw out.

If you are buying an air purifier make sure it has a HEPA filter same for the vacume and when mopping use a microfibre mop.

A natural anti dust spray for your furniture:
    Light Olive Oil
    White Vine­gar (I like Heinz)
    Lemon-Essential Oil
    Water
    ONE 16 oz Spray bottle
    Add 2 tsp Light Olive Oil into the bot­tle
    Mix in 20 drops of Lemon-Essential Oil
    Add 1/4 cup White Vine­gar
    Then just fill the rest of the bot­tle with warm water

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou thankyou '
    I have a good vac with hepa filter (electrolux)
    do i just spray the furniture with that? It beige microfibre

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rachie81 For This Useful Post:

Hokey Pokey  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Maybe not the couch but tough surfaces like bench tops., cabinets, tables etc

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hokey Pokey For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Have you got plastic up sealing the bits of the house that are being renovated? We had our bathroom/laundry done and we had to move out, but we sealed up our kitchen/dining/lounge (at the front of the house) and made the tradies go through the back door. We put black plastic over all the bedroom doors too just as an extra seal. It doesn't need to be stuck down on all edges, but it just provides a little extra barrier.

We had a holiday house that was on a dirt road when I was growing up and we always had dust through our house. It drove us nuts. We just had to keep cleaning.

Oh, make sure you have seals on the doors like doorstops/etc too .