ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 was only a few weeks old. She would not/could not sleep in our room (in bassinet or our bed). Was constantly waking and fussing. Possibly due to DH's terrible snoring! In a cot in her own room with a monitor, she was brilliant. Started sleeping properly for the first time.
    DD2 apparently did not read the SIDS guidelines. The nurse at the hospital kept telling me off for lying her facedown, but it was the only way she would sleep. Eventually I yelled at her that she should take her for the night... she came back an hour later and admitted that she could only get her to settle facedown as well. When we got DD2 home, she soon refused to settle unless she was snuggled with someone. (It was a terribly cold winter that year, and around her birth) so we started co-sleeping, which worked wonders. She went into her own bed around 9 months, when she started getting fussy at being in our bed.
    Kids don't follow guidelines It'd be much less stressful if they did though! lol.
    Bub 3 is on the way, and I have no plans yet... will see what works for him/her. If bub will only sleep happily hanging upside down from the ceiling, we'll go with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    SIDs and Kids haven't issued a blanket statement against cosleeping or surface sharing

Source SIDs and Kids Information Statement- Sleeping with a Baby
    Although you are correct that they ‘haven’t issued a blanket statement’, in the link you provided, they also very clearly state that:

5. Sleep baby in their own safe sleeping environment next to the parent’s bed
    for the first six to twelve months of life

…and it also states that:
    Sharing a sleep surface with a baby increases the risk of Sudden Infant Death
    Syndrome (SIDS) and fatal sleep accidents in some circumstances
    • SIDS and Kids recommends sleeping a baby in a cot next to the parents’ bed for
    the first six to twelve months of life as this has been shown to lower the risk of
    SIDS1-3
    • There appears to be no increased risk of SIDS whilst sharing a sleep surface
    with a baby during feeding, cuddling and playing providing that the baby is
    returned to a cot or a safe sleeping surface before the parent goes to sleep 4-6

So, even though this isn’t a blanket statement, it is pretty clear by the above SIDS guidelines that they recommend that children have their own sleep space, not share a bed with their parents.

The quote you provided was also from 2006. In 2010, they have updated their information, which states:

Studies show there is evidence that sharing a sleep surface with a baby increases the risk of Sudden
    Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and fatal sleep accidents in some circumstances.’’

http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten...2010-Final.pdf

I’m not trying to argue against bed – sharing – I know many people feel that they do so safely, and I don’t feel it’s my place to judge. But I also don’t think you should judge parents for moving a baby to their own room before 6 months, when it is clear that bed sharing also ‘breaks the rules’ when it comes to SIDS guidelines.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (10-04-2012),VicPark  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    Stats show that it is almost a 50/50 split of children who pass from sids in thier own 'safe' sleeping environments as who pass while sharing a sleep surface with a parent.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

I think you haven't quite understood the statistics in your interpretation of them. Yes, SIDS statistics do state that 46% of SIDS deaths occur when babies bed-share. So, I can see how you would conclude that it is 50-50 with deaths in other sleeping environments or in the parents bed.

But, SIDS statistics also show that only 8.5% of parents bed-share with their babies. So, if the SIDS deaths were equal in all sleeping environments, only 8.5% of deaths should occur in the parents bed. So, the percentage of 46% of deaths in the parents bed is, proportionately, very high, and definitely not 50-50/ equal.

There are also so many other factors that come into play – the other 54% of SIDS deaths could have occurred in a range of different sleeping environments – not necessarily in their own bed, and when they were in their own bed, it is unlikely that it was a safe sleeping environment (eg, no pillows, no cot bumpers, etc).

SIDS & kids also state that the biggest factor in relation to SIDS deaths is parent’s smoking – so this would affect the statistics across the board.

http://www.sidsandkids.org/wp-conten...2010-Final.pdf

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (10-04-2012),VicPark  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Each of our children has stayed in a cradle in our room for at least the first 6 months. Once they outgrow the cradle, they move to the cot in their bedroom! Lately, we can have one or two children that make there way to our bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    Studies show there is evidence that sharing a sleep surface with a baby increases the risk of Sudden
    Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) and fatal sleep accidents in some circumstances.’’I’m not trying to argue against bed – sharing – I know many people feel that they do so safely, and I don’t feel it’s my place to judge. But I also don’t think you should judge parents for moving a baby to their own room before 6 months, when it is clear that bed sharing also ‘breaks the rules’ when it comes to SIDS guidelines.
    In some circumstances - which are if the parents smoke or take drugs, alcohol or other medication which has a sedative effect. If you take out the number of cases with those factors along with those with unsafe sleep surfaces such as couches and bean bags and it has been found to be safer. Unfortunately it is very difficult for these guidelines to be 'recommended' in a way that is easily understood and implemented so their 'blanket statement' is a seperate sleep environment.