+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mirena HELL?!

Since 13 years old I've always had very heavy periods and over the years I've had increasing cramps!

I got my mirena 2 days ago. To hopefully stop the heavy periods and to stop pregnancy etc.

I am 28 and I have never had children, so the doctor suggested I was put to sleep while the coil was put in seeing as I'm small down there and it'd be very uncomfortable for me.

The operation went fine, until I woke up. I was in extreme pain from the coil! There was no spotting, just the cramps. I ended up staying over night in hospital they got so bad. I couldn't walk, sit down, or go to the toilet. It was hell. The nurse gave me ibuprofen, paracetamol (500) and MORPHINE! Non of them eased the pain.

I came home from hospital yesterday and had only light cramps, so I used a hot water bottle, snuggled up with the boyf and took paracetamol.

Today I woke up with horrible cramps. The doctor explained it should only hurt for 4 days but the cramps I get on my period are horrendous and the whole point was to stop them being like this.

I have no idea what to do! Should I get it taken out? Or should I deal with it.. Seeing as I'm going on a vacation abroad in 6 days, it's pretty risky!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh you poor thing! I got mine put in January. I had not only the merina inserted but a few other procedures because I was under GA. Did you only get the merina inserted or did they do some other things. I was sore for a good week and are still bleeding mostly often then not. I see my ob in a couple of weeks and I want it out. I've also found that I have put weight on since getting it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think its really bad timing to get the mirena when you are going away in 6 days. Can you make an appointment for the day before maybe and cancel it beforehand if you think it seems ok then?

I got mine for very heavy and painful periods and my Gyno told me the best I could hope for was to have a more normal period and maybe loose the pain. I was crampy for about 3 days and then about the 1st period time it was HEAPS worse. I bought a sticky heat thing like a big bandaid from the chemist which helped a little bit along with pain relief. And I said about the 1st period because it was a nightmare for me period wise when I got the mirena. I started bleeding/spotting when it was put in and it didn't stop for just over 4 and a half months! BUT it stopped and I get nothing but maybe a spot once every 6 weeks or so if I notice it. My Gyno wouldn't let me try it unless I agreed to wait 4 months to see if it works. I had actually made an appointment to get it taken out when the bleeding suddenly stopped.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im about to go to hospital again now and have and have a scan to see if it's moved! I definitely want it out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the mirena put in 6 weeks after DD2 was born & it was the worst mistake i ever made. My OB talked me into it saying how 'wonderful' it was. The procedure was very invasive & uncomftorable but i wouldn't say painful & i was fully awake for it. I had some mild cramping for a week afterwards but after the first week i had the most horrible side effects. The hormones wreaked havoc with my body & i had constant breakthrough bleeding, cramps, headaches, gastrointestinal upsets & depression. I had it taken out a month or so after i got it & within a few days i felt like myself again.

I think it depends on the individual though as i've heard horrible things about it but also positive experiences as well. If your reacting badly to it, then i would say to have it removed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    how you going?? hopefully the pains stopped