+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Breast feeding tongue-tied baby??

I've just had a baby last week and the doctor says he is tongue-tied. He feeds but has trouble latching on almost every time. Just wondering if anyone else has had a child with tongue tie and if there was anything that made feeding easier?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I breastfed my tongue tied bub for 3 months, 1 of those months was using a nipples shield so that she got the idea of where the milk came out and how she got it out, we saw a lactation consultant and she showed us how to successfully do it without the shield

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was born with a tongue tie - he also had trouble latching on and would get very frustrated. It was also very painful for me to feed (I ended up with blisters and grazing on both my nipples).

I saw a lactation consultant who referred us to a surgeon so he could get the tongue tie snipped to allow full movement. She also recommended using a nipple shield as this provided a larger area for DS to latch on to - also using the football hold seemed to help him.

He was seen by the surgeon when he was 10 days old. It was a very quick procedure - there was some blood and about 30 seconds of crying but the dr said to pop him on the breast straight away and he fed then promptly went to sleep. I still used the nipple shields for about a week after but we soon got the hang of feeding without them - it was also now completely pain free for me. Six months on and we are still going strong!

I highly recommend seeing a lactation consultant - it was the best thing that I did :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot to say that the procedure was bulk billed as we had a referral from our GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes my son was tongue-tied, it was noticed by two Lactation Consultants but never suggested it was what was causing me so many feeding issues. It was SO painful every time he fed, and he could never get a really good latch. A mum at school mentioned her son had tongue-tie and she got it snipped, so finally at 7 weeks old, I got it done! Made a massive difference and I went on to feed him for 22 months.

I rang the ABA and they gave me the details of doctors that do it, the one who did my son's was a GP and LC and she just did it in her office, took about 10 secs and I think it annoyed him being held down more than the pain of the snip.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ii myself am tongue tied, and refused to be breast fed because of it (would hold my breath til I passed out). When DD was born, it was something I was on the lookout for, and surely enough, she was tongue tied too. We were having issues establishing breastfeeding, and getting her to latch, so on her second day, I spoke to a midwife about, she took a look at DD's tongue, watched us feeding and said she agreed with my diagnoses, and would send a paed around to have a look over her. Paed said she was a candidate for having her tongue tie cut, and so we went and got it done straight away. DD recovered beautifully... cried briefly after the snip, and there was a big difference in her feeding straight away. Glad I got it done. We successfully breastfed up until DD was 14 months old... only stopping so I could fall pregnant again.

waitsee is offline “While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't realise DS was until I went to see the LC 5 days after he was born, she picked it up, referred us to get it fixed and then I continued to see her for a week to rectify attaching and feeding. I fed DS until 18 month old.

Sent from my HTC ChaCha A810b using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter was tongue-tied (hereditary - my brother was and my dad was). She had so much trouble attaching properly to breast feed. We had it snipped when she was a week old and it made a big difference. I really would suggest having it snipped - was told she would have major speech problems if we didn't.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had the snip. Best thing I did.

My own tongue tie wasn't fixed until I was 5yo and by then it has developed blood vessels and I required a general. It was affecting my speech. I would recommend getting it released asap, for your feeding and for your child's future communication. It's easy as a newborn.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD's tongue tie was picked up at about 3 weeks, & was snipped shortly after.

We had a terrible time feeding prior to this, & I was alternating between nipple shields and expressing to allow my nipples to heal.

After it was snipped it took about another 3 weeks before I could stop with the nipple shields completely, but it has been fine since (now 4 1/2 months)