ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wantingtostart View Post
    I recall someone aborting their twins boys because they wanted a girl. Who would abort twin boys, my god.......
    That case was very rare, which is why it made the news. This story was about detecting the sex in the embryos and then implanting the females. It's totally different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    I don't agree with Gender selection outside of medical needs.

I personally cannot fathom the need to go to such extraordinary lengths to ensure my child had a p.enis or a v.agina. A child should be wanted and loved regardless of gender.

Not to mention the pressure the child would feel to live up to societies stereotypical gender expectations.
    Agree with this! It's an important technology for those who carry risks associated with only one gender and probably there are other reasons but children will be who they are. The much desired little girl might end up a tomboy, gay or transgender. How much can you really predetermine their life?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vic35 For This Useful Post:

The Fox  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic35 View Post
    Agree with this! It's an important technology for those who carry risks associated with only one gender and probably there are other reasons but children will be who they are. The much desired little girl might end up a tomboy, gay or transgender. How much can you really predetermine their life?
    But they never said anything a putting gender stereotypes onto her. Nor anything about her sexuality. She most likely could be a tomboy with six older brothers. But that doesn't mean someone can't want to try for the opposite sex of what they got.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have five boys. I cried and cried and grieved the daughter I'll never have.

I had a miscarriage before Lysander... and to this day I think.. "What if that was my girl."

However, there is no way in the world I want another baby... even if they could promise a girl.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OJandMe For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This in itself is not so bad but humans as a species have proved time and time again that they cannot stop themselves before they go to far and no long term view of where things will lead. Designer babies are a really concern IMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dh and I are planning on traveling to Bangkok next march to sex select.

If we didn't have to do ivf we wouldn't have pursued this option. But since we do we thought we may as well use the opportunity pay the extra money to be able to choose the sex and have a nice holiday at the same time.

We have 2 beautiful boys and a girl would complete our family. I think if there are more than 2 of the same sex in your family you should be able to sex select here in Australia if you wish.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

&BabyMakes4xxx  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    I don't agree with Gender selection outside of medical needs.

I personally cannot fathom the need to go to such extraordinary lengths to ensure my child had a p.enis or a v.agina. A child should be wanted and loved regardless of gender.

Not to mention the pressure the child would feel to live up to societies stereotypical gender expectations.
    Exactly why I disagree with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If DF could be guaranteed a boy, he would agree to another baby.
    But neither of us agree with gender selection, so wouldn't do it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

babylove81  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    So long as there remain some "wild" conceptions in the human race I don't see the problem with allowing people to screen embryos for whatever takes their fancy to choose which to transfer. Not everyone is going to choose the same characteristics, so a great deal of genetic variation will remain in the gene pool.

I did have difficulty TTC, but the ease with which other people conceive did not affect my chances at all, so I don't see how the "she should be happy with 6 children regardless, what about the infertile people" style of argument is relevant. But I would like to see the rejected embryos from designer babies put up for donation, and maybe charge a premium for designer selection to subsidise medically necessary selection.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Maybe im nieve but why is it assumed there would be expectations or pressure?
    I can't see how there would be!