ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes this is something that really worries me. My husband is a spoilt brat, well, he grew up with NOTHING, his family were very poor then his dad died when he was 9 and his mother had to raise 5 kids with nothing. His school used to fundraise for him and his brothers and sisters to go on sports trips etc (they were all very gifted athletically). Now, its like he thinks coz he has money, he is entitled to waste it. He'll say we can't afford to sponser a child (I signed up anyway) but can blow $300-400 a week on NOTHING. He thinks because we can afford it, our kids 'deserve' Nintendo DSs, and whatever other crap there is out there. Needless to say, I control those purchases so they don't get it but it really worries me about how the kids will grow up with a similar sense of entitlement.

My mum and dad were working in a developing country for a few years and I desperately wanted to take the kids over to see how lucky we have it but I got pregnant, then I started uni, my husband said he didn't want me taking them there, and we just didn't get there. I think it would've been invaluable to them.

Some of things we used to do is we got pocket money and mum and dad would ask if we wanted to donate some to kids who don't have much, kids are so generous, so we always did. With my kids, we used ask if they wanted to send some of their money over to my mum and dad for little things for the kids there, I doubt it did much (we're talking $5 hahaha) but I felt it was good for them to give. Also I will talk about fairtrade all the time, only get fairtrade coffee, chocolate, easter eggs etc. We buy from Op shops and I explain where the money goes and the environmental advantages to buying second hand etc.

But it is SO hard, I have a few like-minded friends, but so so many people are so preoccupied with possessions and power its really hard. Also part of it is this holding kids back to start school that is popular now. While I can see some kids really are not ready, SO many parents have said they held their children back to kind of put them into more of a 'leadership' role, being older, to kind of give them an 'edge' over the other kids. I just think this is wrong doing it for this reason and like your thing you quoted op, its just not good to have such high expectations of kids that they will be extraordinary- its ok to be normal, to choose something you love, and something you are good at, and to run with it. Funnily, our whole family are in 'helping' professions (well I will be when I finish uni), so I think mum and dad really drummed into us the importance of contributing to the community.

Oh and we also moved to an Aboriginal community when we were young, it was next to a mining town, and we saw first hand the disparity between black and white Australia and how lucky we are.

Sorry to ramble, but I think being aware of it is the first step so at least you are making change just by thinking about it, but agree, its so bloody hard!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

MilkingMaid  (02-04-2012)