+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Failure to Thrive ;(

Hi,
    I don't know if this is the right place for this as its only the second time i've posted on here but I need re assurance. My little man got his 6 month needles today and when his weight was checked we noticed he had lost weight. I'm going back to his doctors in 2 weeks and if things haven't improved his seeing a pediatrician on the 9th of May as his doctor said his failing to thrive. He was born 3.7kg - 50.5cm, at 6 weeks he was 5.05kg - 56cm, at 4 months 5.75kg and 64cm, 6 months 4.75kg -64.5cm.
    His breastfed 4 times a day and bottle fed for his 10.30 feed. I've started him on farex 2 weeks ago every second day but his not interested in eating it. his a content little bub, rolls around, and is just learning to get into crawling position. What can I do? and how worried should I be? is there certain foods I should feed him to help him gain some weight?

thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Big hugs xxx
    My little man also had FTT . Is he reaching other milestones that he should at 6 mths?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Aww, it feels awful doesn't it. My little man was diagnosed FTT at around 6mths also (he was below the bottom %ile, after being born everage weight). 1kg is a pretty big weight loss in 8wks. My bub was well into solids when he was diagnosed so I was able to increase his calorie intake with his food (but rememeber breast milk is usually the best source of calories, esp if you LO isn't taking much solids) I increased calories by adding calorie dense foods to everything, such as avocado, cheese, cream etc. This was on advice of a pediatric dietician. He also had his milk boosted by a high kilojoule supplement called Poly-joule, i also added the powder to his food. Poly-joule is only available on prescription.

The Dr's did lots of blood tests and other assessments to try to work out why he was losing weight. Nothing came up, so it was decided that he simply used more calories than he could take in (he was extremely active). The dietry supplements stopped him losing weight, but he was still a poor gainer and was a tiny boy until around 4 years old. Suddenly he just started gaining and now at 6 he is on the 50%ile.

Anyway, just wanted to reassure you that often, especially if bubs is achieving milestones, there is nothing actually "wrong". Some babies just need more calories than others.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

MummaG23  (29-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advice but couldn't read and not give a my lil man got those needles today too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi nicole089 lots if hugs it's the worst place to be. We went through this with DS when he was a NB until he was 4 months old. Understand it different with an older baby but empathy cause its a sh!t position to be in. We comped with high cal formula and things steadily improved. He's now a thriving 11 months old hitting all his milestones. No real advice just wanted to send hugs