+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Delayed cord cutting/lotus birth/taking placenta home - in public hospitals?

Has anyone done any of these things? I would love to hear about your experiences and how supportive the staff were to your wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't comment on the delayed cord cutting and lotus birth, but we were offered to take the placenta home if we wanted. We declined, but asked to look at it out of curiosity, and they were happy to show us. I birthed at a public hospital in WA.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Delayed cord cutting is on our birth plan and our midwife is hugely supportive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I didnt do a lotus birth but I did delay cord cutting. It had completely stopped pulsating vor quite a while bevore it was cut and I was ovvered to take the placenta home. Was vunny, when the middy tried to take a blood sample vrom the placenta there was practicly nothing levt in there.
    I also didnt give the Vit K injection as I believe she got all she needed vrom delaying cord cutting. I had no troubles with the hospital at all.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LotusMum For This Useful Post:

Wippy  (31-03-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, I haven't thought about vit k too much. Just heard the illness although rare is really dangerous so preliminary kinda thought maybe get it but need to get proper info. Will be declining hep shot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I declined the Hep B shot too. My bub got nothing but breastmilk and cuddles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I delayed cord cutting, went with hep b but not vit k. My friend had her bub here in January and had a waterbirth, delayed cord cutting, no vit k or hep b and took home the placenta. My nephew was born in a private hospital last may and they wouldn't allow it other than certain cultures. Cords were cut immediately and the placenta destroyed. No option for waterbirth either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    To those of you who had delayed cord cutting, were any of you in RNSH?
    I'm hoping to get this and refuse Vitamin K.

Though last time I wasn't ready to sign the consent form I got a very chilly, "Well if you're going to refuse the Vitamin K ,I will send you to see one of our
    paediatricians" almost threatening me

Thanks
    Reviews
    I delayed cutting cord, waited untill it stopped pulsating, gave my placenta to our Doula who made placenta pills, just had to sign a release form for placenta!!! I gave DS vit k and hep b shots. Midwife was supportive of any decision!

This was at Hornsby Hospy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I delayed cord cutting, went with hep b but not vit k. My friend had her bub here in January and had a waterbirth, delayed cord cutting, no vit k or hep b and took home the placenta. My nephew was born in a private hospital last may and they wouldn't allow it other than certain cultures. Cords were cut immediately and the placenta destroyed. No option for waterbirth either.
    What?! A private hospital?! So people had to PAY for the privilege of not having options? That's terrible!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (31-03-2012)