ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Only in a formal setting. I think when it comes to formal occasions people like to stick to the traditional, even if some things are very dated.

Our wedding invites were addressed to Mr and Mrs A Smith.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If we get normal mail addressed to both of us like christmas cards etc then it's usually addressed like Mr & Mrs Smith.

DD1's school mail things to us addressed Mr & Mrs Smith as well.

Our joint bank account statement is addressed like Mr A & Mrs B Smith.

I don't think I have ever been referred to as Mr & Mrs A Smith.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I got a letter addressed like that, I'd wonder why they were calling my husband 'Mrs' and think 'don't they know that's a man's name??' lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ugh, I hate it! I'm not married but if I was I would consider taking my husband's surname or hyphenate for ease of children etc but I would so resent taking my husband's initials!

It might seem quaint and old fashioned to some but it's a sexist hangover to me that has connotations of ownership. Same reason I will always be Ms. Men are always Mr yet women get broken up into the married and unmarried Mrs and Miss. I think it was a quick way that men used to be able to tell if a woman was available. Yuck, yuck, yuck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Vic35 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We occasionally get letters addressed to Mr and Mrs J. Smith and TBH it really offends me. I got married, not had an identity change.

I have partially changed my name, only use my married surname for medical (because DH felt very strongly that bub have his surname in hospital), the rest of the time I use my maiden name. However in all circumstances I use Ms, not Mrs as I think Mrs is a derogatory title. A man's marital status is not reflected in his title and I don't believe that a woman's should either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we are not even married, yet we still get mail addressed Mr and Mrs 'Smith'.
    ...with the exception of statements from the bank [joint account].

I have combined our surname as a bit of fun when signing xmas cards or other greetings. ..and some family and friends have started addressing us (as a family) - by this name!
    I love it!!

I know this is off track to the OP, but even being addressed in person, people still call me by my partners surname. It doesn't sh!t me, but it surprises me, the number of people that make the assumption that we are married, and that I would have taken his name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If sending things to a married couple I will either address things as mr and mrs smith, or just use the husbands first initial. I'm only 24 but to me it's kit the way it's done and I see no problem with it. I LOVE that I am mrs J.Smith so I don't see the problem with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I changed my name and am happily a Mrs (I think it's a hoot!). Without entering a discussion about the whys and wherefores of that decision, I cannot stand being MrsLB instead of RB. I'm R, he's L. We have the same surname - he doesn't own me nor is he the most important person. Our surname is our 'group name', but our first names are personal identification. I find having my personal identity subsumed extremely offensive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've never had it, and I wouldn't like it either!

What's wrong with just Mr & Mrs Smith? I don't think it need initials at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Dont think so.

The power is in both names & it comes as Mrs K & Mr L (surname).