+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby Formula & trip overseas

Hi

I am going to the UK for 4 weeks & am wondering what to do about my 3 month old DS's baby formula. He is on Nestle Nan Pro Gold 1 but in the UK they do not sell Nestle formula so there is no equivalent, this means I will have to take about 6 tins over with me, this is annoying as will take up soooo much room.

I just spoke with the health nurse & she said that it seems a bit silly to have to take over so much formula & while I am there I should just take 1 tin with me & then buy a UK formula & give DS the UK formula for 1 or 2 of his feeds during the day so that he is used to it by the time the Nan formula runs out & then have him on the UK formula.

Would you do this? Or would you take 6 tins with you?

She did say he may just have a tummy upset or constipation for a little while.

Anyone else gone away for so long & not had their formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With DD I took one tin of formula - then customs in the country I arrived at confiscated is saying I could not bring in dairy. This was NOT correct, I just copped an idiot at the desk at 11pm at night and spend 2 hours in a taxi trying to find a 24 hour store that sold ANY formula!

So advice number one, email UK customs now and get them to email back confirming that you may bring formula in, print this out and keep a copy with your passport (ditto if you have any stopovers where you will be leaving the airport). I haven't heard anyone else have this problem though, it's just based on my own traumatic experience.

Otherwise, I agree with the nurse, take one tin and then start a formula there. Check if your formula is whey based or casein based on the ingredients and choose one with a similar composition of the the main ingredient(s) - UK also lists ingredients from most to least. in Canada I had very little trouble finding a formula that suited DD - I think second brand I tried ('Gold' formula's didn't agree with her, so had to find one with no Omega3 added).

Third option is to take 6 tins - then you'll have heaps of room on the way back for the clothes you can buy on a London shopping spree

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I travelled a bit when DD was a baby, and had the same problem.

I just took loads of tins with me, as I didn't want to chance that she might get an upset stomach from a different formula.

Do you know anyone over there that you could ship it to? Otherwise, I would carry it and then use the space for shopping while over there!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I looked into shipping some over but the cost in shipping it was so expensive.

I guess I can buy all the tins & put them in my suitcase & see how much room it takes up. I know that I will have a lot of gifts to bring back too as this is the first time all my family will be meeting the bub so I probably will need the extra space.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took one tin then bought some in uk. I wasn't kean on it either to be honest. The first one we tried didn't sit well with him but the second one did! He was 4 months old. When we returned home he went straight back on the same formula and was fine! If you take all the tins you might get stopped in customs and they may take them off you. You never know what could happen as it often depends on the customs officer unfortunately!