+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would you leave you child in the care of a 16 year old?

Last night DH and I had a date night for the first time in over a year, DD has just turned 3. I don't have alot of babysitters as options and my little sister who is 16 offered to mind our lil girl. Before we left I fed her dinner and put out her pajamas, teddy and dummy for bed so all my sister had to do was bath her and put her to bed. I was really worried and had a hard time relaxing whilst out, my DH reassured me that most babysitters are about 16 and my sister will be fine. I rang her a couple of times and we were only gone for 3 hours. When we got home my sister said everything wen't well and DD went to bed on time etc.,. Am i silly for worrying? Would you have left your 3 year old in the care of a 16 year old? My sister is quite mature for her age and is really good with my daughter I just worry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to babysit when I was 16, but I was a very level headed, mature 16 year old, so if I were to have a 16 year old babysit, I would have to know her inside and out (such as a sister or friend's daughter-something like that) and it would really depend on her maturity etc.

As for your scenario, yes, I would have left my 3 year old in the care of my sister, especially being that you did most of work beforehand and it was only for 3 hours. I probably would have called once though, not just to check on my child's well being, but to see how my sisiter was faring as well.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Depends on the 16yo. Some 16yos are very responsible, while others wouldn't have a clue how to watch out for a young child. My niece has just turned 18 but she's a great kid, loves my girls and I would trust her to look after them any time.

I just don't trust many people to look after my kids, there are probably 3 people on the whole planet and two of them live the far side of it from here! Its natural to worry when you leave your kids i think, at least it is for me.

I think maybe you just need to practice leaving your DD for another date night hun You deserve a little bit of time to yourself, and date nights are essential for connecting with your DH. Sounds like your lil sis did a great job, so I'd ask her to do it again, you will prob find you are a bit less anxious next time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    I agree, it depends on the babysitter. I started babysitting when I was 13

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bpac For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i think because its your sister,she is family, she would genuinely love and care about your child and therefore do the best job she can. of she is mature i think u have nothing to worry about.
    its not really the same as getting the 16yo from across the street iykwim?
    i was a mother at 16 and i managed just fine

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysmurf For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (26-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well, my daughter was still 14 and I was getting her to watch the kids sometimes. A friend of mine even paid her to watch her kids too. She's 15 now and I still get her to watch the kids.

Having said that, my daughter is an exceptionally responsible mature teenager, perhaps if she wasn't I'd feel differently.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my son 3 months before I turned 16. I think if the babysitter has common sense and is mature there isnt much of an issue. Lots of teens babysit younger siblings. My sister is 9 yrs younger than me and I grew up helping take care of her. I would have to reaaaly trust them though & know them well. When my sister was 9 I let her 'babysit' my ds, but my dad was there to help. I was surprised that we were gone for about 2.5 hours and she changed him, played with him fed his dinner & put him to bed with a little help from dad. (i was expecting her to get bored after a hour and tell my dad to watch him lol).

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I was nannying at 16.

It's the maturity of the person, not their age that matters IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. We do all the time. She's only 13 as well. We're very comfortable with it. Our youngest 2 are already in bed though. We have a family friend with 3 teenagers plus SS who all have a movie night while we go out. Works great! They are awesome kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister is 10 years older than me and started her family when I was 12. I was babysitting from the age of 14 and had no problems. The kids knew and loved me (still do now God bless 'Em :P) and I knew them well enough to know all their little quirks and sayings. I think it was a great option for both my sister and I. She got a break and I got to bond with my niece and nephew..win win!