+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I really need help re: breastfeeding I'm confused and feeling lost

this is long winded and im sorry but i need help
    This is my second baby but 1st baby that i have breastfed.

i had attachment issues in hospital which resulted in terribly sore blistered cracked nipples. So as a suggestion to give them a break i hand expressed colostrum and topped up with formula bottle. i was determined to come home so said that I would continue to do this when i came home from hospital yesterday.

Today my nipples are much better so i thought id try feeding on the breast again and was much more successful this time no pain only problem is as i came home from hospital not breastfeeding i have no clue on the details of what to do you know the particulars of breastfeeding so i have a few questions:
    1. How long do i feed her for? (the last feed she was attached feeding for half an hour and then fell asleep so i just wrapped her and put her to bed will she of gotten enough colostrum/milk from this feed to be sustainable??)

2. Do i feed from one breast and alternate between feeds or offer both breasts at each feed? (i only fed of 1 breast for the half an hour)

3. Do i wake her to feed her? (this is another issue i am having she just sleeps for hours and wont wake on her own for feeds most of the time)

i know these seem like a lot of issues seeing she is only 3 days old but i want breastfeeding to work this time for us as it didnt last baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    depending who you ask you will most DEFINITELY get different answer!

Personally.
    1. i use to feed until they feel asleep or pulled away.
    2. i use only do one side a feed and then swap for the next. always worked well for me.
    3. if you feel she needs a feed then for sure wake her and give her a dream feed, i never had this problem mine always woke when hungry.

you will find some things will work much better for yourself so go with what feels good and keeps bub happy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sandy_1902 For This Useful Post:

laurea  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi 2ndtimemama - glad to hear that feeding is going better. I think each baby / mum is different but this is what I found to work for me..( I'm on my phone and can't look back at your questions so going from memory).

At first it took my son about 1/2hr on each side to feed ( so total time feeding was about 1 hr) now 6 months on its about 15-20 mins all up for a full feed but in saying that I wouldn't get too worried about the time it takes - go with your baby's cues instead.

I always feed from both sides each feeds - this was probably more for my comfort but DS seemed to want both sides. Heaps of people feed from one side alternating each feed so again if you finish on one side and offer the other but baby isn't interested then she/he is probably full and you could start on that side next feed.

DS was a pretty sleepy baby as well only waking about every 4-5 hrs - this meant I was only feeding 5-7 times a day which is not ideal (recommended about 8 times a day) but whenever I woke him up to feed he wouldn't. As He was putting on weight I didn't get to concerned but if he wasn't thriving I probably would have started to get him up a bit more.

At the start He also constantly fell asleep whilst feeding so one of the best tips I got was to rub his feet or head when he started to drop off and he would start to feed again - weird but it worked.

Hope somewhere in my ramblings there is some info you can use.. Wishing you all the best :-)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    1 - Feed until bub doesn't want anymore, either pulls off or goes to sleep.

2 - I would always offer the first breast, if bub fell asleep on that breast or wanted no more fine. Otherwise when bub has drained the first breast, only then would we swap, as swapping earlier can mean your bub is not getting enough of the hind milk that is fatty and satisfying, and too much of the fore milk that is more watery and can cause stomach upset if you switch breasts too quickly. If bub takes only a little from the second breast, or none at all, that's where I started at the next feed. I used to weigh both breasts with my hands, and start with the heavy one, i was so sleep deprived most of the time i couldn't remember which one I'd fed off last...

3 - Well, at 3 days old, PERSONALLY I'd not go more than 4 hours between feeds night and day, but others will say just let her sleep. If you can dream feed, all good.

Is she jaundiced at all? If so, sunning her in the early morning sun can help to clear it, and help her be more alert for feeding, also the more you feed, the quicker the jaundice clears.
    Last edited by MilkingMaid; 25-03-2012 at 19:34.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MilkingMaid For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperTrooperVagiDuper View Post
    Just a tip thought id add. Feeding one boob at a time is recommended because milk has different stages. The let down in first few minutes is fatty then it moves on to thirst clencher and nutrients. Swapping boobs within 15 min will result in baby missing out on the hind milk
    Wrong way around.

http://www.llli.org/faq/foremilk.html

You may have heard that mothers produce two kinds of milk: foremilk, the thinner milk the baby gets first, which has a lower fat content; and hindmilk, the high-fat, creamier milk that follows. These terms can make it seem as if the breasts produce two distinct kinds of milk, which is not the case. The milk-making cells in the breasts actually produce only one type of milk, but the fat content of the milk that is removed varies according to how long the milk has been collecting in the ducts and how much of the breast is drained at the moment.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    AM - just had a giggle - I do the hand weighing too - its now become a habit and I often find myself testing my boob whilst I walk through a shopping centre or down the street. I'm sure people must think I'm odd particularly if I don't have my baby with me :-)

Also, I think you guys have described doing one side then the other a bit better than me... foremilk/hind milk etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Haha I remember also in my sleep addled state if I were driving, and bub was screaming in his seat, I'd stop and then go round to his door and lean over the carseat to feed him, then of course I'd totally forget to put my boob away after finishing the feed and walking around the car back to my door... yep I think a fair few motorists got well flashed by an exhausted looking dishevelled yours truly

Thanks
    Reviews
    I felt exactly like this when I came home from hospital. It does get easier.

I was told to feed on one side first then offer the next. All in all including winding and a nappy change it takes me about an hour to feed my 6 week old. I also feed him to sleep. This is what works for us. On the next feed you need to start on the last side that your baby fed from. The milk that comes from the breast is composed of fore milk and hind milk. Fore milk is more watery and hind milk is more of a creamy texture, it has all of the fat in it which is why you start from the breast the baby last fed off as the hind milk will be ready to come out by then. Fore milk satisfies the babies thirst and hind milk helps them put on weight. Hope that all makes sense.

Will you get a visit from a community health nurse? I had a visit and she referred me to my local community health clinic for a breastfeeding clinic which I found really helpful meeting other mothers in the same situation.

Also Don't forget the Australian Breastfeeding Association.

https://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/

They have a 24 hour helpline you can call and you don't need to be a member. I found them a great support at 4 in the morning once when my baby was crying and I was feeling very alone and confused about feeding.

Good luck, it will get better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh I'm slow at typing! AM I was about to reply to your post but it disappeared! or maybe I am going , I am a bit sleep deprived!