+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default pnd when baby is almost 6 months old???

is it possible to get pnd when your baby is almost 6 months old??or maybe I've had it all along and just shrugged it off as hormonal.

my third daughter is almost 6 months old.I cry every day for a lot of the day I don't enjoy my kids like I use to.I don't go anywhere well I don't wanna go anywhere because its all too much effort.I'm struggling to get through the days.I'm always sad and taking it out on the girls.I resent them to a degree because I feel like I have no life no friends.I just don't know if its pnd or general depression.how is it distinguished??I've been sad a lot since my daughter was born but its gotten worse the last month or so.
    I can't get into my Dr for a month even though I was crying on the phone.i just don't know where to go from here.

Sent from my GT-S5660V using BubHub

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh Hun

Yes it is possible even months after birth, It sucks that you are feeling like this but you have taken the first step by saying something its only up from here.

I don have much advice but Since you are unable to get in to see your dr I would suggest contacting PANDA or beyond blue, they will be able to help you and offer services and advice in the mean time.

Take care of yourself xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey hun...first of all big hugs to you, you sound like you are having a tough time.

My second bubba was 5 months before I was diagnosed with PND - I too put it down to hormones and adjusting to having two children but since I was diagnosed and being treated I feel so much better.

Does your gp have a nurse at the clinic? Could you talk to them and tell them you think you might have PND and see if they get you in quicker. Otherwise as the PP suggested give beyond blue or panda a call or even see you maternal child health nurse.

Do you have anyone who can give you a hand with the kids or watch them while you have some time to yourself.

I hope that you can get some help and start feeling better so you can enjoy your bubbas again. PM me if you need Hun - anytime xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    You are able to get PND right up till your child is one year of age from what I understand. Beyond Blue have a check list and information on their website
    http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.aspx?link_id=94
    Also if you have any concerns give them a call.

It's a shame you cant see your doctor sooner. That really makes it hard to get medical intervention when you have to wait so long

Big to hun. It's not easy feeling that way I know. Personally struggled for the first 8months of my first daughters life with feelings like this before I did anything about it.

I hope the best for you and truely hope that beyondblue or your gp can give you the help you need as soon as possible.

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, meljemillie.

Firstly, I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a tough time. It takes a brave person to admit that they are not coping as well as they would like, so well done. This is the first step.

As you might have seen from one of my previous posts in this area, I am a PND/AND ambassador on Bubhub. I would love to extend my support and get you connected to as many helpful resources as I can. If you have not already, please have a look at the sticky AND/PND resources that exist on bubhub. Here are a few links:

PND – Part I http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...ression-Part-1

PND – Part II
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...n-(PND)-Part-2

PND - Further Reading and Resources http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...-and-resources

In terms of your question about distinguishing PND from ”general” major depression, According to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV - Which is used in Australia and internationally as a professional manual for psychiatric disorders), PND is not recognised as being diagnostically distinct from major depression, apart from being temporally associated with childbirth. The symptoms and treatment options are therefore very similar. In addition to the common symptoms of depression and anxiety, women with PND also commonly experience attachment issues with their children and might find it difficult to cope with their parenting responsibilities. It must be said that everyone's experience of PND is different, and treatment options must therefore be catered to each individual.

PND can occur at any time within the first year after delivery so it is quite possible that you have developed late-onset PND. The later you receive help and treatment, the longer the PND can linger, so it is really crucial to get help and treatment asap. If you are in a small regional/rural town I understand that this is easier said than done, but waiting for a month doesn't sound healthy. Is it only “your” GP that cannot see you for a month or are there waiting lists everywhere? As some of the other ladies have suggested, you can alternatively see a child health nurse about your concerns. Both the GP and CHNs are likely to ask you to complete the Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Scale, which is a 10 item self-rated questionnaire. The EPDS is used by GPs and in many antenatal and postnatal clinics, to detect depression and anxiety at this time. Please keep in mind that a person who does not score high on the scale might still have depression. Likewise, a person who scores high on the scale does not necessarily have depression. The EPDS only gives an indication.

Link here: http://www.testandcalc.com/etc/tests/edin.asp

As well as seeing your GP or a CHN, I can really recommend that you contact PANDA. (Post and Antenatal Depression Association – www.panda.org.au Call 1300 726 306) to find out if there are any support services in your area. PANDA has a large database with a lots of information about perinatal support services in the community and also do phone counselling.

Also, I want to mention the private PND/AND discussion area on the forum. The area is a place where sufferers of perinatal depression can come together for support, education and general chat. The discussion area has been a really great success so far. It is a really supportive space full of intelligent, funny, understanding and supportive ladies who have experiences with PND and/or AND. We agree that talking privately with others in a similar situation has been really therapeutic and positive for us, so we are continuing to look for others who want to join our lovely "family".

If you want access, please contact the moderator veve and ask for access to the area. (Please specify that it is the PND/AND are) When you do have access, you can find the area here: http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...scussion-areas

Please look after yourself, and continue to talk to others in here who have experiences similar to yours. You are not alone.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

diesal444  (26-03-2012),earthfairy  (01-04-2012),Madame Mayhem  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou for your replies.I finally got into my Dr and was put on zoloft 50mg.I started Monday and have had a little nausea.how long does it take to work.at the moment I don't feel any different still sad still crying still desperately trying to pretend everything is okay.

Sent from my GT-S5660V using BubHub

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi again, meljemillie.

Great to hear that you finally got to see your GP, and that you are receiving treatment. Are you doing counselling, or getting assistance from other support services as well?

It can take a while for the ADs to come into effect; sometimes it takes as long as about 6 weeks, but often you will feel a significant difference after two weeks. Everyone reacts slightly different. Please keep in mind that in the first few weeks of starting on ADs, the symptoms of depression and anxiety may exacerbate. It is therefore very important to monitor your mood and involve health professionals if needed.

Here is the link to the area of the Beyond Blue webpage where you can download mental health resources, such as information on antidepressants: http://www.beyondblue.org.au/index.a...=7.980#Related

Please let us know how you go.
    Last edited by MuminMind; 31-03-2012 at 23:30.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MuminMind For This Useful Post:

earthfairy  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was exactly like you and was diagnosed with PND when dd was 7 months I was under the impression that you only got it in the first three months but I was wrong. I knew something was very wrong with me and seeing my gp was the best thing I ever did, I was put on 50mg Zoloft as well and it changed my life I was going to seriously hurt myself if something didn't change. I remember feeling a bit nauseous and and had headaches in the first week but this passed and then I felt like myself again. Speaking to other ladies on bubhub also helped me along as well. I self weaned off my meds about 3 months ago as I felt I didn't need them anymore, I still have days where I feel I can't cope and I want to escape but these days are becoming less and less and I feel so much better. PM me if you need someone to talk to because last year I was in your exact position. Good Luck x

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mum2Lil13 For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (01-04-2012)

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

You have come to the right place! I am so happy to hear that you have seen your GP & have started on the road to happiness.... I have been on Zoloft before & MIM is correct, the first few weeks can seem worse than before... but keep on keeping on honey- it does get better.

I think you definitely need to speak to a Councillor as well as being on AD's - I saw one only a few times then found other activities such as yoga, going for a walk, meditating or even having a bath helped. Also, I started a journal. This helped me immensely! I felt safe writing down how I felt.

Make sure you tell those close to you what is going on, you need lots of love & support.... be kind to your self. The sun will shine again for you honey.

EF x

13. The Following User Says Thank You to earthfairy For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (01-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes it absolutely is! I got mine at 5-6 months. Get help. Get a good psyc who will help you figure out WHY, not just band aid the symptoms. Reach out to those you trust, read a lot on the condition and look after yourself. Talk, talk, talk to those who love you. Good luck!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Shooshlove For This Useful Post:

MuminMind  (12-04-2012)