+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Edema. Swollen Right Ankle Moreso Than Left?

Hi Ladies,

I am currently 2 days overdue and the swelling that I have been experiencing towards the end of this pregnancy seems to be getting worse day by day. Started with swollen ankles, then hands, now a bit of puffiness in the face, all has been cleared by the midwife though and she says it's pretty much expected at this stage of pregnancy.

My blood pressure is higher than normal for me, 125/85, this has crept up over the last 2 weeks as well....I'm usually around 110/70-75. My midwife is aware of this and not overly concerned. I saw her a couple of days ago and all was well.

One thing I have noticed over the past couple of weeks too is my right ankle seems to be slightly more swollen than my left. I keep forgetting to mention it to her. I don't have any pain or redness or anything like that, I just measured it and my right ankle is a little under one centimetre wider than my left. It's noticeable to me when I look down at them, I showed DH, it took him a couple of seconds to see but he said he wouldn't have known if I didn't point it out.

Anyone else have this?

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hey, watch your urine output, as if you're tending towards pre-eclampsia, your urine output tails right off as the blood-pressure increases. It may be as simple as you put more pressure on that foot when you stand, or when you walk, or the skin and blood vessels in that foot may be weaker. Have you thought of getting some pressure stockings? Put them on in the morning before you get up for max effect. Pay close attention to any more changes as PE develops so incredibly quickly at the end of pg. Glad your MW has passed you as ok, but keep an eye on it and if anymore changes, get checked again.

Here's hoping you deliver soon so these symptoms abate! you are ok till delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Odema is usually due to a reduction in venous return. I generally look for things that might block/obstruct veins, as it is one side worse than the other I'd look for: sitting position- do you sit with more pressure in your right bum cheek, how is your baby positioned, etc. If you're concerned you could wear compression socks or move your ankle around (like the exercises they tell you to do on planes) to stimulate fluid return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies

I haven't noticed a change in my urine output but I will keep an eye on it. I am trying to drink as much as possible to help flush out the excess fluid and it was helping to a point but not so much now.

This is my second pregnancy, I didn't get PE or have any BP issues with my first but I did suffer from puffy ankles much earlier than this pregnancy however no hand/face puffiness with the first. I haven't had any headaches or visual disturbances which is what my midwife said to watch out for and to call her if any of these did develop.

I do tend to sleep on my right side with a pillow wedged between my legs and feet. If I am sitting on the couch I tend to lay on my left side. I'm trying not to sit too much as that affects the swelling too :/

Yep, really hoping this baby makes an appearance soon as I'm starting to look like a right little sausage, not very glamourous!