+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Fluoride in water in Sydney, white spots on DD's teeth...

I took DD to the dentist yesterday and the dentist said she had dental fluorosis caused by there being too much fluoride in the drinking water here (Sydney).
    Apparently there is nothing I can do about it, just regular trips to the dentist where they will try to minimise the look of these white spots.

Im really annoyed that we are not told about this. Had I known I would have made her bottles up with bottled water and not tap (as she suggested)...but no one told me. I didnt even know it was something I had to look out for, I assumed our drinking water was fine to drink and always made sure she drank plenty of the stuff!

Does anyone know anything else about this? I have googled for the last hour but keep getting conflicting messages.
    Is it just Sydney this is happening in?

This is kind of what DD's teeth now look like ;

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?q=is...1&tx=160&ty=60

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally, I'd rather deal with white spots on teeth than the effect of no fluoride in the water. I spent my early years in QLD and have suffered a life time of weak teeth (compounded by genetics) because of it.

We now live in a remote town in Outback SA where again there is no fluoride in the water. It's not so bad for adults who can use fluoride toothpastes, but for young ones - like my DS - I worry he is going to have the same issues I did.

I am guessing your DD is too young for toothpaste at the moment as you've mentioned bottles, but when the time comes I would perhaps use a low or no fluoride toothpaste for her.

In the meantime, I would mix it up between tap water and bottled water because she needs some fluoride, just obviously not as much as she has been getting to date. Just be aware though that bottled water can contain high traces of other minerals and salts that aren't great either! Such a mine field.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i have hyperflouridisation (sp?) and my teeth are all spotty, i used to be very aware of it and hate it, and when i was a teenager the only thing that could be done was capping (no way was i doing that every couple of years!).

It doesnt look fantastic (i wish i had pearly whites!!) but i have never even had a filling, so my teeth are super strong because of it, so there is an upside

I cant use whitening toothpaste either as that can make it stand out more (not sure if your dentist told you that).

DH has the worst teeth, lots of fillings, teeth pulled etc, and im glad now that i dont have problems, even tho the dont look like "normal" teeth should

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is not uncommon unfortunately and is why I don't agree with medicating our water supply. Our drinking water should be safe for everyone.

I only discovered the risk when DS was 18 months and also wished I'd known earlier.

Then we discovered both DH and I have flouridosis too.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (20-03-2012),sweetums89  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We use Pureau water, it has no flouride in it and it just tastes better than tap.
    Flouride is a poison.
    There's heaps of information out there about flouride, where it originated and why it's used and not a lot of it is to do with the health of our teeth.
    You might find this link interesting.

http://www.fluoridealert.org/

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

Janesmum123  (20-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    Personally, I'd rather deal with white spots on teeth than the effect of no fluoride in the water. I spent my early years in QLD and have suffered a life time of weak teeth (compounded by genetics) because of it.

We now live in a remote town in Outback SA where again there is no fluoride in the water. It's not so bad for adults who can use fluoride toothpastes, but for young ones - like my DS - I worry he is going to have the same issues I did.

I am guessing your DD is too young for toothpaste at the moment as you've mentioned bottles, but when the time comes I would perhaps use a low or no fluoride toothpaste for her.

In the meantime, I would mix it up between tap water and bottled water because she needs some fluoride, just obviously not as much as she has been getting to date. Just be aware though that bottled water can contain high traces of other minerals and salts that aren't great either! Such a mine field.
    ^ I agree I have 5 children an we moved from Sydney when my eldest dd was 4 she has never needed a filling an has great teeth my other kids have all had some problem an lots of trips to the dentist.