ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Does anyone else use online supermarket shopping carts....

to make sure they stay in budget???

I'm trying this idea out after DH told me we had a teensy weensy massive bit over what I thought we had on the credit card.

So we've moved back to a 'cash only' system.

I'm trying out using the Woolies online trolleys to keep our fortnight in budget grocery-wise...

does anyone else do this? Does is work?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you mean as a calculator of sorts? I do like the fact that if I shop online and get it delivered I can see what the total will roughly be and adjust my menu plan as needed, also allows me to see when we are under and that's when I will stock up on things on special.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    yeah as a calculator. I live regionally and can't actually 'use' the online service.. but I can still add things to my 'cart' So made up a saved list of staples and then add on the specialty items I need for my meals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It would only be a guide. I have found the prices vary greatly. Generally more expensive online, but some things are cheaper.

Good idea though!

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm fortunate enough to order online and I find I (a) spend way less than a real shop as I'm not tempted by unnecessary specials, etc, and (b) if at the end of the shop I am over budget I can simply review my cart and easily take items off to come under.

This would prob work still if you were using it as a calculator only. Especially if products are usually cheaper in store than online :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used to use Wooloworths online shopping and I loved it until I noticed that all the prices for items I buy went up and some were considerably more than what they are in the local stores around me. Also I wasn't getting all the specials that were available in store. I can definitely see that it would be an advantage for you as you're just making up a list and getting an approx total. When you get to the counter your actual total should be less than what you would have paid online

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have done this in the past.

Nowadays I sit down with my list of everything we need/want, give it an estimated cost and tally it up. If it's overbudget, I cull non-essentials from the list. When I'm at the shops, I look for the cheapest option under my budgeted cost for each item. I usually go shopping with $200 for the week, and I have it in cash, so I don't have the option of splurging and going over. But by careful shopping, I often end up with at least $20 or more leftover as spending money for the week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My sister does this, and then prints the list out to take with her when she buys the groceries.
    But, as PP's have said, the prices can vary. My sister says some are cheaper, and some more expensive, but I think it pretty much rounds out in the final figure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So I tried it out this morning....

I usually make up a menu plan for the week and then shop to that, but this time I went in and bought staple items that could be used for any meals... then went to the butcher and got a meat pack from them (which I will definitely be doing again as I noticed they always gave me more than what the pack 'says' you get.. eg. it says :1.5kg lab leg roast, he gave me a 1.8kg roast... it says 1kg lamb chops, he gave me 1.2).... but I still only got charged the 'pack' price.

Then I took it all home and made up my menu plans from what I bought. Most of it was what I had planned for anyway.

Once I got to the checkout at Woolies I rounded the total up to my fortnightly budget and now just have the remaining cash in my wallet for fruit and veg and extra milk/bread/eggs/butter. Everything else has been bought and stored

I'll let you know how it goes anyway.

BarefootedMumma is offline Aiming to be in the top 10 busiest users one week.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I used to do this all the time when I had a stricter budget. I generally found that by printing it out and going shopping along with impulse purchases and checking specials/unit prices in store I would still spend less then what the paper told me.

Definitely make friends with you local butcher. If he likes you he will slaughter a cow for you just to make sure you get the cut you want. Ok he won't ACTUALLY slaughter it but he will make sure you get it and well priced. Ours is awesome I wish I had gone there more often when I lived out of home as we wouldn't have starved trying to eat IGA meat so much.