+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    RACQ pointed me to the right place in Townsville.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Sorry I know I was supposed to put this up yesterday. The guy we went to to get an anchor point put in our ute (twin cab) is called John and he is based in Casula in NSW. He can travel to you depending on where you live. His number is 0402265899. DH can't remember exactly how much it cost but it was between $200 and $300.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got it done for $200 including fitting the seat after. If you buy a new seat the part will come in the box. Dh and I watched the guy do it and know we can do it ourselves next time. So super easy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Missemzy View Post
    I emailed the RAA a while ago about this.

This was the reply I recieved

"Providing that you are restraining the child correctly in a suitable approved restraint for the child's age/size fitted to the manufacturer's instructions, then you are allowed to transport children in a ute."

The ute is not allowed to have air bags fitted.

In our ute there is a button thing at the back and you can remove it and install a anchor point. Or if you have to tools for it drill a hole. We buy our anchor points from auto stores.

But I would have no idea who or where would put one in for you or how much it would cost. I guess call around?

Sorry I cant be any real help.
    No. Do NOT just drill a hole if you have the tools. Not unless you happen to moonlight as an engineer.

Anchor points have to be rated and engineered for the stresses that will result in the event of a crash. If you crash, the entire force of the crash will be transferred to that tiny part of whatever bit of metal you drill into. If that point isn't strong enough, the bolt will rip through the sheet metal and your child will have a fairly negative experience.

If the car has a rated, threaded anchor point, by all means CAREFULLY install the loop that comes with the carseat yourself. As long as you tighten it to the right torque and don't cross thread it, it will be perfectly safe.

But if it doesn't have that anchor point installed, don't do it yourself. Pay a professional - that $200-300 not only includes drilling the hole, it also includes whatever extra bracing is needed on either side of the sheet metal to make it safe and the approval of a qualified, certified engineer.

It is worth every cent. To be honest, it is an absolute bargain.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

GrabbyCrabby  (17-03-2012),share a book  (17-03-2012),Witwicky  (17-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyLarge View Post
    No. Do NOT just drill a hole if you have the tools. Not unless you happen to moonlight as an engineer.

Anchor points have to be rated and engineered for the stresses that will result in the event of a crash. If you crash, the entire force of the crash will be transferred to that tiny part of whatever bit of metal you drill into. If that point isn't strong enough, the bolt will rip through the sheet metal and your child will have a fairly negative experience.

If the car has a rated, threaded anchor point, by all means CAREFULLY install the loop that comes with the carseat yourself. As long as you tighten it to the right torque and don't cross thread it, it will be perfectly safe.

But if it doesn't have that anchor point installed, don't do it yourself. Pay a professional - that $200-300 not only includes drilling the hole, it also includes whatever extra bracing is needed on either side of the sheet metal to make it safe and the approval of a qualified, certified engineer.

It is worth every cent. To be honest, it is an absolute bargain.
    Absolutely! That $300 each it cost for the extra 2 in my car means I know children are safe when being transported in it. $600 in total to ensure the safety of small passengers was a price I am willing to cop. Otherwise children would simply not be travelling in the car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andthentherewerethree View Post
    We got one put in a Nissan navara in cairns for $285 I think, and for everyones info, there can be installed legally they are just not standard with utes because they are not considered a passenger vehicle. Ours has been certified and is 100% safe
    My parents new Navara has no child anchors ( i couldnt believe it!) and I was told they cant be fitted to this model as the vehicle rear seat was not designed for safety to have child seats in them unlike the previous models, I was told this by the mechanic at Nissan.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    You need a registered mechanical engineer. I had two put in my van recently.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu 2 View Post
    My parents new Navara has no child anchors ( i couldnt believe it!) and I was told they cant be fitted to this model as the vehicle rear seat was not designed for safety to have child seats in them unlike the previous models, I was told this by the mechanic at Nissan.
    You can put a restraint point in almost anything. In extreme cases, you can attach a bar to the chassis and mount the restraint off that.

It just depends on how drastically you want to modify the car, and how much you want to spend.

Needless to say, a mechanic isn't an authority on these things. An engineer is.