ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gestational Diabetes symptoms??

What are the symptoms of GD??
    What complications dose it cause?
    What's the chance of getting it in a second pregnancy is you DIDN'T have it with your first?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think some of the symptoms can be the same as the other types of diabetes - increased thirst and urination but this can be difficult to spot when pregnant. Other signs / complications are increased size of baby, increased fluid around baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply Penny88.
    Do you know if it's harmful to bubs?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Winterbubs1012 View Post
    Thanks for your reply Penny88.
    Do you know if it's harmful to bubs?
    Yes it can be.
    This is why testing is done, so you can maintain your blood sugar levels to help prevent anything happening to the baby in the uterus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's only harmful if you don't get diagnosed or control it properly. By control it means maintaining a good blood sugar level. The main problems it can cause are having a large baby, possible weight problems later on, increased chance of type two diabetes and if very uncontrolled, deterioration of the placenta at the end of pregnancy and problems for bub controlling blood sugar when born which could lead to a stay in nicu. Have you been diagnosed?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had it undiagnosed, and therefore not controlled, with my DS. He was a large baby (9lb) and he has low blood sugar at birth which took a long time to stabilise. He had to spend a little time in the SCN because of it and had to have heel pricks every 3 hours for the first 48 hours of his life which broke my heart

We had to give him formula (it was either that or a drip in his head!!!) to stabilise his blood sugar and this in turn sabotaged breast feeding for us.

I have done the GTT this pregnancy and it came back negative for GD but I am still monitoring my sugar levels myself because I don't want to go through that all again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Von zipper, if its any help I had the same story with my first, he was born at 12 pounds and same with the breastfeeding. With the second one I had also diabetes, as I have now with the 3rd and learned a lot! Best tip I ever got was to express and freeze my colostrum in pregnancy. This will be used in nicu IF the sugar should go low, instead of a glucose treatment. Also I had a very strict breastfeeding plan which they took very serious. Unfortunately for some strange reason they dont allow cup or spoon feeding in our nicu so I personally decided that for the overall breastfeeding success I rather go with the tubefeeding. Worked for us but thats a decision you have to make as a parent for yourself. Anyhow since then I started my breastfeeding counsellor course to support diabetic mums as unfortunately their breastfeeding often gets sabotaged (

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky2006 View Post
    Von zipper, if its any help I had the same story with my first, he was born at 12 pounds and same with the breastfeeding. With the second one I had also diabetes, as I have now with the 3rd and learned a lot! Best tip I ever got was to express and freeze my colostrum in pregnancy. This will be used in nicu IF the sugar should go low, instead of a glucose treatment. Also I had a very strict breastfeeding plan which they took very serious. Unfortunately for some strange reason they dont allow cup or spoon feeding in our nicu so I personally decided that for the overall breastfeeding success I rather go with the tubefeeding. Worked for us but thats a decision you have to make as a parent for yourself. Anyhow since then I started my breastfeeding counsellor course to support diabetic mums as unfortunately their breastfeeding often gets sabotaged (
    Thanks for the ideas. I am going back to the same hospital so I know they will allow finger feeding, so I can at least do that with colostrum.