ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sara Donik View Post
    Nope. I think it's usually a case of someone racially stereotyping and as they are aware 90% of people cannot differentitate between racial stereotyping and racism they have to quickly throw in this little disclaimer lest they be branded a racist. And I think it's quite de riguer at the moment to accuse people of being racist. It makes you sound socially aware...
    Unfortunately racial stereotypes are usually negative though, especially when talking about Aboriginal people or 'other' groups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I disagree, i think it is very relevant. Negative racial stereotyping justifies racist beliefs and behaviors.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabella For This Useful Post:

Benji  (16-03-2012),jacobsmamma  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    While I do note that there are specific "black" things that there is not a "white" equivalent of, it's because they are a minority group.

In the US, there are black television networks... but there are also gay and lesbian television networks too - another minority group.

There are celebrations of black achievement - but just the other day it was Internation Women's Day. Is there a male equivalent? If so, I've absolutely never heard of it. Why women and no men? Because women have not been treated equally, and still aren't completely here, and definitely aren't treated equally elsewhere in the world.

In regards to hiring black staff, there is also encouragement to hire mature-aged apprentices in some areas... because it's acknowledged that work can be harder for them to get than their younger counterparts, and because being an apprentice at an older age is likely to be more difficult financially than being a 17-year-old apprentice relying on his parents or rooming with friends.

Plenty of people will get help because they're in a group of people who statistically, are worse off, and the government recognises this and tries to make changes to better those people.

It's not racist - or reverse racism - it's just something that is done because that collective of people are, overall, seen to be at a disadvantage. Studies have proven this - it's not just something the government assumes because it wants to. It's something that is statistically true of that group of people, and so changes are made to help those people become more "on par," with everyone else.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (16-03-2012),TheCheshireCat  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Nope. I think it's usually a case of someone racially stereotyping and as they are aware 90% of people cannot differentitate between racial stereotyping and racism they have to quickly throw in this little disclaimer lest they be branded a racist. And I think it's quite de riguer at the moment to accuse people of being racist. It makes you sound socially aware...
    Semantics. Sounds like something someone racist would say to justify their words. I do know and understand the difference but in the context of everyday conversations with everyday Australians it is usually racism, not racial stereotyping.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (16-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Semantics. Sounds like something someone racist would say to justify their words. I do know and understand the difference but in the context of everyday conversations with everyday Australians it is usually racism, not racial stereotyping.
    Yes. Well said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    the thing is that racial stereotyping leads to racism. Part of racism is putting a blanket label on a race and judging them on that - all X race are dirty, terrorists,stupid, lazy etc etc. Stereotyping lay the foundations of racism

Guest Guest
    I just read about 5 racist comments in another thread! People are racist and don't even know it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a question Is it racist when people say "whinging Pom" or is that merely racial stereotyping? Is it considered racist only when the stereotyping is made against a minority group?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    rac·ism
       [rey-siz-uhm] Show IPA

noun
    a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.

hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I'm still confused. Based on that information it would seem that the term "whinging pom" is only stereotyping and not "racist" as defined by that description.

However PP's have stated that negative stereotyping leads to racism. I would consider being called a whinger to be a negative comment. So it still seems to me that racist stereotyping only leads to racism in minority groups??