+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsAmos View Post
    With regards to 'Pom' I often find it quite funny when I am called this... Mainly because a large proportion of Australians originate from England in their ancestry! I don't feel any negative racial connotations towards it!
    It depends on what you consider the meaning of 'pom' to be...I have heard a few.

.Pom;
    It's an abbreviation of Prisoners Of Her Majesty. The first Englanders in Australia were convicts.

Pom;
    We were told at an early age that P.O.M.E. was stenciled on the backs of convict's uniforms when they were transported to Australia many years ago. These criminals formed the basis of modern Australian society. Many of we Australians are descendants of these convicts and therefore the descendants of Poms. So, it is we who are the true Poms, not the nice, law abiding English people who were encouraged to emigrate here with their money, skills and trades to find a rabble of uncouth degenerates.

Pom;
    It actually originates from the hundred years war, when the French called the British "pommes" (as in pommes de terre) because they were always eating potatos.Pom;
    I always thought the term pom came about because prisoners were shipped to Australia from Portsmouth, aka: Pompey.

Either way, im not a fan of being called a Pom, I don't appreciate being called a whinging Pom, but I don't see it being anywhere near as bad as someone calling a black person the N word simply because of the history of the word.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    "

"Whinging Pom" isn't said with the intention to demean, belittle and insult. Unlike actual racist terms.
    Um, yes it is. The times I have been called it, it was absolutely meant to be insulting and belittle me. It is not up to you (not you personally) to say what is and isn't insulting to someone. I used to call Pakistanis "paki's" as a kid, just because it was a shortened version of the word Pakistani. However, in my teenage years I learnt they find this highly offensive and racist. You cannot call someone a Paki in the UK now.It is said to be as bad as the N word.

But anyways, this is all off topic sorry.
    Last edited by GothChick; 24-04-2012 at 15:43.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think the words themselves are racist but rather the intent. I've had dark skinned friends where we have, in very good humour, called each other a white or black b**tard etc. There was no ill intent and both parties had a good laugh at it. Same with the word Pom. It can be said to a friend in jest - particularly around world cup time! But all things can be said and used in anger and hate.

We've talked here on the forum. This little guys right here has been used passive aggressively. When you can make be demeaning, what chance does the word Pom have!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

GothChick (24-04-2012)