+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Victorian child restraint laws for 7 year olds

Hi lovely ladies,

I seem to remember reading in the booklet that they sent out last year with the changes to the child restraint laws that whether it not a child longer needs a booster is now based on weight as opposed to age.

My nephew is 7 and is only 18 kilos and is not in any sort or booster or seat. My sis is telling me he doesn't need one as he is over 7 but I was sure I read in the new laws that for a child to be out of a booster they must weigh 30 kgs. So if you child is 7 and still under 30 kgs they will still have to be in a booster until they reach to weight limit.

I have checked on the Vic roads website but I can't find that info.

Does anyone have the details or have I got it wrong?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I believe the laws are now nation-wide, and kids aged 4-7 need to be in a booster. They are 7 until they turn 8. However, if they outgrow the booster (height/weight) they can move out of it. Also, if they are older, but the seatbelt does not correctly fit, they stay is it. My dd turns 9 this year and has just moved out of a 5pt harness into a booster. We had an emergency the other day and I put her on the seat without a booster to travel just 500m and the seatbelt sits across her face/neck which means I could be booked for incorrectly restraining her even though she is over 8.