+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Where I am I got onto a yahoo group mailing list... Then from there I got in touch with other mums and found out about a newsletter re local activities. There are drama classes, music classes, weekly and fortnightly meet ups, camps, choirs, sport, pottery classes, scavenger hunts etc. There is so much going on. DS1 has only just turned four so too young for some of it but we're getting involved in bits and pieces now and it's great

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Southern Tasmania
    Posts
    18
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    5
    Reviews
    0
    I have found that you really need to be selective with the social aspects of homeschooling. There are so many opportunities that sometimes it's hard to get any work done!

  3. #13
    heeeeerekittykitty's Avatar
    heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,709
    Thanks
    316
    Thanked
    387
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    ...
    Last edited by heeeeerekittykitty; 27-04-2012 at 13:31.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    2,610
    Thanks
    1,023
    Thanked
    511
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We will be doing field trips with a homeschool group and also sports

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What kind of a routine so you have for a home schooler? As in, how many social outings each week? Are there days where your child doesn't see anyone other than you cause you stay at home or do you make sure you go out every day?

    ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    8,794
    Thanks
    3,395
    Thanked
    3,081
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't yet, but will run childcare from home when I do, and will work HS excursions in with CC excursions. They will likely be twice per term, plus w/e outings.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    What kind of a routine so you have for a home schooler? As in, how many social outings each week? Are there days where your child doesn't see anyone other than you cause you stay at home or do you make sure you go out every day?

    ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    When DS1 starts prep at home next year I intend to spend a little time on schoolwork in the morning (you get a lot done in a short time at home) then we are free to decide what we want to do. DS1 likes his quiet home time and hates it when we socialize too much or are out all the time (im similar in that way), so I'm going to follow his lead re how much or how little we're out. We'll likely do a class or two out of the house a week and 1-2 homeschool meetups - sometimes less, sometimes more.

    He prefers immersing himself in his interests, being out in nature, enjoying the beach, playing with his pets. Time will tell how much or little social time DS2 (5 months old) will want. We'll figure out what works for all of us

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    1234
    Posts
    2,821
    Thanks
    887
    Thanked
    583
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckySC View Post
    When DS1 starts prep at home next year I intend to spend a little time on schoolwork in the morning (you get a lot done in a short time at home) then we are free to decide what we want to do. DS1 likes his quiet home time and hates it when we socialize too much or are out all the time (im similar in that way), so I'm going to follow his lead re how much or how little we're out. We'll likely do a class or two out of the house a week and 1-2 homeschool meetups - sometimes less, sometimes more.

    He prefers immersing himself in his interests, being out in nature, enjoying the beach, playing with his pets. Time will tell how much or little social time DS2 (5 months old) will want. We'll figure out what works for all of us
    Your son (and you) sound a bit like us :-) I'm not the most social person in the world... My son is an only Child and is quite quirky.. Id love to home school him (as I just have this huge feeling he'll get bullied) but because he's an only Child I'm not sure it would work in his best interest.. It's so hard to decide! (not to mention dedicating myself as his teacher for the rest of his schooling years!)


    ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,842
    Thanks
    305
    Thanked
    311
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Your son (and you) sound a bit like us :-) I'm not the most social person in the world... My son is an only Child and is quite quirky.. Id love to home school him (as I just have this huge feeling he'll get bullied) but because he's an only Child I'm not sure it would work in his best interest.. It's so hard to decide! (not to mention dedicating myself as his teacher for the rest of his schooling years!)


    ***Happy to be a Mummy & Daddy of ONE! :-) ***
    Will PM you later. I'm an only child and was homeschooled

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    in the 'burbs of Brisbane
    Posts
    5,120
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked
    18
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For us has been the opposite problem..... to much socialisation. My girls are both very social and there are several great local homeschooling groups with weekly meets, plus other activities like art, science, sporting, dance classes etc, so we could fill our days with social activities, plus park plays. There are so many opportunities for kids to meet others, that socialisation has never been an issue - pacing ourselves and getting the right balance of going out and being at home is more our issue.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Advice on homeschooling with 3 different aged kids
    By Shokujo in forum Home Schooling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 24-09-2012, 06:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
Hunter Women's Health CentreHunter Women’s Health Centre care for women of all ages, in the full spectrum of their gynaecologic and obstetric ...
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›