+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Hearing Loss in toddlers...anyone?

Anyone here have a toddler with hearing impairment or hearing loss?

I'm after some advice. My little one is very behind with his milestones and is delayed developmentally in every aspect. We were told to get his hearing checked first before taking him to a developmental paediatrician for some answers.

I was expecting to take him to his hearing test and walk out with a note saying his hearing is fine. That hasn't happened. We need to have more tests.

Today he had a conditioning test (where in a small room they make different noises, some loud some not with a puppet show) He failed that and only responded to 4 noises all up out of a lot.

He also had an echo test which revealed there is no echo going in or out of his ears...the audiologist did say that if he's getting a cold or an ear infection that would explain it. I don't think he's getting sick nor does he have an ear infection.

I'm taking him to the hospital on Wednesday to have the same sort of tests he had today - just to see if they say the same. Someone from infant hearing loss is going to call us this week to speak with us and we've been told he'll need more thorough testing (under sedation) before we have any definite answers. At the moment everything is 'inconclusive'.

Just after any advice or comments or feedback from anyone who has a toddler with hearing problems or who didn't do well with their hearing tests but can hear fine? His hearing test as a newborn was fine.

Thanks
    Last edited by Pinkzy; 12-03-2012 at 18:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hugs, we are going through similar with our lil girl who is just shy of 18 months.

failed first test at 14 months (she was in special care on anti biotics that are linked to hearing loss so had to be tested early)...report said not able to hear well enough to gain speech skills/ Did the puppet test and the echo test.

Have said she has some deformity in her ear canal and the bit that joins ear to nasal stuff (gee, so technical lol).

We have to have hearing tests each 4 months and if she has an ear infection, 2 weeks after stops antibiotics.

They have said it looks like she will have intermittent loss...and only time will tell. They have also suggested she will only hear well in summer and not winter (which made me go wtf lol).

ANywy, at the moment she is going well....gaining a few words (not many) and doing really well on following verbal instruction. I have her in for another test next week cause she just got over an infection.

I find it very overwhelming...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (12-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you for your reply. Sounds like they're very on the ball with the testing for your little one.

Overwhelming is the right word...I don't know why this has come as such a shock. I honestly thought Autism...it's in the family...he shows all the signs. I didn't think we'd be going down this road. Will hold it together until further testing and try to think positively.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    no advice pinkzy but i hope you can get some answers on wednesday for your little man so you can head into the right direction with where you gotta go and what you have to do.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Myztiks#1Fan For This Useful Post:

Chocolate All Gone Now  (12-03-2012),Pinkzy  (12-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    the only reason they tested so early was because of the anti biotics in special care. I really thought she was fine...and even said to my dh that if they found a hearing loss i would fall over in shock!

They have described it to me as she hears as if she is underwater, so can follow intonation etc but not hear clearly enough to be able to repeat it. She often sort of sings the same sounds as the sentence but none of the words (hard to explain ... but made the testing lady nod and tsk).

All her other milestones she is doing OK, she is a fricking escape artist and can not be contained. Climbed out of cot before she could walk...she seriously has me running in circles.

My DS was speaking in fluent sentences by now...so i really don't know what to do. I see a pead in April for more advice and to check on some other stuff we are worried about (some stomach/reflux issues and sleep/lack of sleep). I have been told to start speech therapy at 2.

I hate that i just have to "wait" and "hope for the best"...damn it, give me something to do...i need a plan (am a little, ummm, process driven lol).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD is a little different in that she failed her newborn hearing test. She didn't get pass results from the echo test or another one. She had to have further tests at hospital - they wanted her asleep for this but of course she wouldn't sleep so they had to sedate her (using some kind of hormone or something that was squirted into her mouth and only lasted 30 mins or so for each dose). They then attached things to her head and apparently this tested the actual hearing nerve. She passed this just fine. We were told to wait for some months before having grommets inserted as she was too little for anaesthetic and wouldn't make a difference to her speech development. She did the puppet test at 8 months and failed that (but maybe still too young for it) and had the grommets inserted shortly after. Her hearing is now perfect - she just had fluid in both ears for some unexplained reason. They said she had had moderate to severe hearing loss.

My niece is 18 months and only had 1 or 2 words - she was checked by an ENT who booked her in for grommets the next morning (last month) and her speech has come along amazingly in that short time. She had built up fluid for some reason and had impaired hearing.

I hope they figure out what is going on quickly.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sunnybambino For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hello!

We have just gone through this. My DD2 (2.5yrs) has had recurrent ear infections. We would have had about about one every month last year. We finally decided we need to do something. We had our first hearing test in NOvember last year which she failed. She had no reading on the echo and they said straight away that she would fail the actual test. We went ahead with the test (which she did fail), and the same, they have intervals of noise and if she reacts a little puppet pops up. They gave us the summer to dry out so to speak. Throughout January, she had major ear infections with her second one in January being on 2 x oral anitbiotics and 1 x ear drops. After being on prolonged anitbiotics to give her ears a chance to heal, we had our second hearing test in February which she passed! We will probably need to go down the path of grommets etc. But, if your son had fluid in his ears, which you mentioned that they thought he would be coming down with a cold, that will definitely contribute to failing. Our DD2 is only mildly delayed in speech, but at this stage not too concerned until we see an ENT to work out what we'll do.

Good luck with your little man and if you can, let us know how you go!

ETA Just to add, that our Audiologist also told us that she might get an infection as her ears were completely full of fluid. But they said, just because it's full of fluid doesn't always mean it will turn into an infection. This might be what they were referring to with your son may develop a cold. I had no idea that my daughters ears were completely full of fluid with no air. Hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by 3InATub; 12-03-2012 at 23:23.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 3InATub For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (13-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I come in to post about DS. But I saw it's you pinkzy, you all ready know about DS. So i will just give you big big big

14. The Following User Says Thank You to *Cj* For This Useful Post:

Pinkzy  (13-03-2012)