Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 53
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    159
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked
    32
    Reviews
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    I'm just playing devil's advocate, I don't condone it, but is it that much different to babies getting the heel prick test done?
    I'd say hell yes!! That's over in an instant. I'm sure it took much longer than that to force a needle through babies ears.... one at a time. It's disgusting

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    575
    Thanks
    25
    Thanked
    131
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    I'm just playing devil's advocate, I don't condone it, but is it that much different to babies getting the heel prick test done?
    yes sterile and nurse compared to do it yourself fool

    get your point as far as pain but still think would make a huge difference prick your finger then stick it through your ear what do you think

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,660
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,191
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pynk View Post
    I too believe its wrong but just to throw it out there don't some ppl circumcise boys at a few days old with no anesthesia



    its my phone that can't spell not me
    Yes but it's done by a professional who knows what he's doing.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,660
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,191
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    yes sterile and nurse compared to do it yourself fool

    get your point as far as pain but still think would make a huge difference prick your finger then stick it through your ear what do you think
    Exactly

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    5,078
    Thanks
    83
    Thanked
    427
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Omg that's crazy. I don't believe in piecing a baby's ears let alone doing it yourself and not being a professional piecer

    I also agree Opinionated. If you can be against baby's having their ears pieced for the same reasons being against ric.
    Last edited by Veve; 10-03-2012 at 23:31. Reason: deleted reference to removed post

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

    Gandalf  (10-03-2012),share a book  (10-03-2012),trishalishous  (10-03-2012)

  7. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Kimberley WA
    Posts
    4,660
    Thanks
    919
    Thanked
    1,191
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    I wonder how many people who are horrified by this thread care about circumcision of young infants? That seems to be more accepted on bh because it is done for cultural/religious reasons, however in many cases so is ear piercing. I personally don't know how a mother could allow either. I also can't believe the op's friend did the ear piercing herself.
    I doubt a parent would attempt to circumcise a child at home, the fact that a parent took it upon themself to pierce their child's ears is the main issue I think.

  8. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brisbane, Qld
    Posts
    2,906
    Thanks
    971
    Thanked
    780
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Von Zipper View Post
    WTH?! Crazy! We were still in hospital at 5 days... That poor bubba!
    So was I. That was the furtherest thing from my mind when I got home lol!!
    I got a professional to pierce my dd's ears, and I also used Emla cream to numb her lobes. I would never have done them myself.
    5 days old is a bit extreme. They are still adjusting to being out in the world.
    Last edited by kriista; 10-03-2012 at 20:51.

  9. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,395
    Thanks
    5,361
    Thanked
    892
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I doubt a parent would attempt to circumcise a child at home, the fact that a parent took it upon themself to pierce their child's ears is the main issue I think.
    Of course parents have attempted to circumcise children at home: see here

    OP, i'm as horrified as the rest of you, but at the same time - i don't see ear-piercing as an acceptable choice at this age, in the home or not.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

    share a book  (10-03-2012),Witwicky  (10-03-2012)

  11. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    987
    Thanks
    226
    Thanked
    500
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by naebie View Post
    I'm just playing devil's advocate, I don't condone it, but is it that much different to babies getting the heel prick test done?
    It's nothing like getting the heel prick done! The heel prick screening test is done to determine whether or not a baby has a serious medical condition, and is a relatively painless procedure. I know this because my two children have PKU which was picked up (thank God), at the 3 day heel prick test, and I have to do a weekly heel prick on each of them and send it in to the RCH. I have been doing this since the week they were born (they're now 5 and 17 months), and they honestly don't even flinch when I jab their foot with the tenderlette. It does cut the skin in order to draw a small amount of blood, but that is totally different to having a sewing needle stuck all the way through your ear lobe. That would be excruciating!!!
    They are two totally different procedures - one for life saving medical reasons, and one purely for vanity.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

    SassyMummy  (10-03-2012),share a book  (10-03-2012)

  13. #40
    Opinionated's Avatar
    Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,509
    Thanks
    140
    Thanked
    808
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    I doubt a parent would attempt to circumcise a child at home, the fact that a parent took it upon themself to pierce their child's ears is the main issue I think.
    Whether it is done at home or not is not the issue. Both are done without anaesthetic which is repugnant. Also, how much training does a mohel have? They circumcise 8 day old babies. I find any cosmetic/religious/cultural body modification carried out on a baby disgusting, no matter who does it and what their training is.
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 10-03-2012 at 22:00.

  14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

    austmum  (20-06-2012),Gandalf  (10-03-2012),nicoletta  (10-03-2012),share a book  (10-03-2012),trishalishous  (10-03-2012),Witwicky  (10-03-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. I Absolutely Detest...
    By London in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2012, 13:26
  2. Sometimes I absolutely hate...
    By mum2bubba in forum Single Parents
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 25-04-2012, 09:03
  3. OMG Horrified, my 6yo son exposed to porn
    By Kaybaby in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2012, 23:22

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
The Health Hub & Glowing ExpectationsGlowing Expectations is conveniently located at The Health Hub in Darlinghurst. We offer pre & post natal personal ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Do u take it personally? Kids friends..General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
Pregnancy test recall!!!Conception & Fertility General Chat
Time share for holidaysGeneral Travelling with Kids Tips
Lite & Easy ???Second Trimester Chat
The Vampire Diaries LAST EPISODEMovies / Music / Books / TV Chat
REVIEWS
"Pigeon teats rule!"
by Alex
Pigeon PP Wide Neck reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›