+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Royal North Shore Public or Manly?

Looking for recent experiences at either of these hospitals. I've been trying to decide between them. Pros for me going to Manly are I could get onto a midwife group, and see the same midwife most of the way through.

For RNS, its right near my work, so convenient and I know they have great care if anything goes wrong (my sister had preclampsia and they looked after her so well there). For RNS I would only have the shared care option.

Does anyone have recent experiences of either hospitals?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi

I've had both my girls at RNS public both c sections, first emergency second elective. Yes they have shared midwifery care at RNS, but I can't comment on that as I saw doctors because I was having c section for my second. For the first I had midwifery care with Ryde hospital, as they are sister hospitals.

One thing I can say is you do have to wait a lot. Every time I went to RNS there were all this pregnant women waiting, sometimes for up to an hour and a half. They give you a time but it's always at least an hours waiting time.

For after care I have no complaints. You have to share a room but that wasn't an issue for me. The nurses are very busy and you do have to wait a bit if you have buzzed your button. They are also always different because of shiftwork so you'd be lucky to see the same one again, although I did see one a few times which was nice. The nurses and midwifes and doctors are lovely and I was quite happy with RNS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had my c section at RNS and loved it. Yep I had to share a room but that was okay, I didnt even notice she was there 90% of the time.
    The staff were lovely and very quick at coming when I buzzed.
    I had DD with me 24/7 for the whole 5 days which I have no heard is a tad unusual as most hospitals take them to a nursery whilst you get some sleep, but that didnt bother me at all as she was a great sleeper and to be honest, id never have let them take her anyways.

I would defo have another one at RNS.

Oh, food isnt too good though so get someone to bring you sarnies in.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default thank you

thanks guys, good to hear some first hand experiences. And very positive by the sounds of it.

I had heard about the wait times with appointments, so I guess thats a consideration.

Anyone had recent experiences with Manly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had bubs at RNS this time last year. I thought the antenatal care was good - and they do offer eve appts and there were v short wait times at these. I didnt have a great birth experience, TBH - felt a bit rushed by the MWs - there was mention of them "needing the room" at one stage when I was not progressing, and one MW drastically overestimated my dilation so I was therefore pushing when I should not have been. But that was unlucky and could have happened anywhere. The actual delivery (forceps in the end) was fine - a consultant did it and also stitched me (severe tear), bubs had a lot of skin-to-skin contact with me, and the Post natal ward was OK. It was busy at times but I found the MWs v helpful in getting BF established, which was difficult for us. You meet the occasional abrupt MW but I dont think you'd avoid that anywhere. Watch out for the constant ****** of "visitors" though - photograher, social worker, physios, discharge planner etc etc, who all arrive when you are supposed to be resting. It is pretty hard to rest in there - Id advise earplugs and early discharge with the community MWs visiting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks anemone, good tip with the evening appointments

Shame you felt rushed by some of the mw's, thats not good. I guess it depends on how busy it is at the time too.

I'm hoping for a natural birth, so I guess that could be one of the pluses of Manly - as there is the shared midwifery and they are apparently very encouraging of a natural birth there.

But I guess I can't rely on this as it depends on how everything progresses with the pregnancy, birth etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going through RNSH atm-I'm only 13 weeks but the midwives and doctors I've seen there have been very helpful. I had no wait for my booking in appointment-I got the earliest timeslot so was straight through. For the next appointment I was booked at 8.30am for the high risk clinic and am glad I don't have to go back there again as I was still there at midday.
    I have been told to expect around an hours wait usually, but longer if you have to go to the tuesday high risk clinic as there were dozens of women there all waiting to see the doctors.
    Getting blood tests done was really convenient as it is across the corridor from the midwives section so I had no wait at all for those.