+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Moving interstate... Driving !!

So in the next few months we are moving from Adelaide to Yeppoon.

We are taking only what we can fit in & on our wagon!!! Selling everything else. Our son will be about 13 months old.

He's being given a car DVD player so hopefully that will help keep him entertained some of the time.

We are planning to keep everything we need during the trip (taking a week - 10 days to get there) clothes, linen, food, some toys etc in the back seat. Then as much as we can into the boot, plus of course portacot & stroller. Need to find a cargo carrier suitable for the roof racks aswell.

Any tips on either moving interstate or big driving trips with a busy toddler??? We know lots of stops will be involved!! :-)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Holy cr@p that's a big move!!! I moved from Yeppoon to Armidle and thought THAT was a big move at the time!

I think you're on the right track. The DVD player is going to be a big help. And don't be in a hurry. If you give him a chance to have a run around and a play every now and then I think you'll be fine!

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

blissfulfairy  (08-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The only advice I can give (having done similar) is plenty of stops when needed (as much as it's a pain when you want to keep moving), but giving your DS lot's of fresh air and time to run around and stretch his little legs. Those stops make all the difference, not only for the little ones, but yourselves as well. We always make sure we have plenty of cold water in an esky as well as snacks, so often boredom equals hunger and you don't want to stop and spend a fortune at roadside places, so lot's of healthy snacks etc.

We also bring along those magic sketcher boards too, they can 'draw' all they want and you don't have to worry about mess or drawings etc on your car interior!

All the best with your move, what a mammoth one you're taking on!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's a long trip! We have done a 24hour drive with DS at 12 months, but we had to do it in 2 days. So we did most of our driving when DS would usually be asleep (so from around 12am - 6am) then just timed the stops around him and give him lots of time to run around a park while we have lunch etc, then drive, drive, drive when he was asleep. Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to decemberbubba For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    At some point mum started feeding us in the car, and then our stops were at local parks so we could just run around and not have to spend the break eating as well. Maybe that would help She used to just pack sandwiches and other snacks that were easy to eat.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dancermum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks for all the replies! Yes it is a big move!!! A little scary but mostly exciting :-D

I did heaps of driving trips with my mum when I was younger... But not as young as our boy

We'll be driving during the day but I guess it makes sense to drive overnight while bub is sleeping. We are planning on having normal breakfast, then getting in the car around 8.30am each day - half hourish before ds usually naps Then we can stop for morning tea, then lunch, and maybe a later arvo stop too depending on how we are going and how far we want to get that day! We will have time so that's a good thing :-D