+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Children who struggle with school- public or private?

DD1 has some learning difficulties. Nothing in particular, but she is bottom of the class and quite delayed. Currently she is at a state school and they are getting a Guidance Officer to assess? I do like her school (and so does she) but I am wondering if there is more help available at a private school? If anyone has a child who has learning difficulties I would love to hear if there is much difference between a state and private school for kids who need a bit of extra help...

Thanks
    Last edited by TheCheshireCat; 06-03-2012 at 15:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    From my limited experience and talking to friends you are better off in a state school.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wigglemum For This Useful Post:

TheCheshireCat  (06-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My niece has Aspergers, my SIL took her out of a public school ( they did have an aid 2 days a week for her) and put her in a private school this year (4 th class) the difference already is amazing! Not only is the school much better equipped ( better attitudes with teachers, far better communication with parents ) plus the kids are so much more accepting , they only wish they had started her there at kindy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Before dd was diagnosed with anything, her school (private) gave her 5 hours a week aid time. At public schools in our area that never would have happened. Since being diagnosed, her school has approved 20 hours a week individual aide time. At the public schools the maximum would be 8, and not individual. My pick for my child is private.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It really depends on the school itself not the resources available. All schools have access to support staff it just depends on how they choose to utilise these.
    I have noticed catholic schools in my area have 'support officers' which are there to support the teacher and help in classroom these are on top of the teachers aides that are there to assist the specific children. Private schools tend to have smaller class sizes to.
    I have also known students coming from public schools into private and being 'behind' in terms of reading etc.
    I woud speak to schools in your area and see what they have to offer.

Sent from my LG-P920 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    SAB and Elijahs Mum, does it make a difference if the child has been diagnosed with something or not? DD1 is just delayed so I wonder if there would be much for her?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    Interesting! Do you know why that is? I actually heard the same, which surprised me because I thought it would have been the other way around.
    With my niece, the public school teachers to be honest didn't know how to handle her, they got a teachers aid in 2 days a week ( they said that's all the state would fund her for) which was great but the other 3 days she was lost, plus the other kids had just started to tease her, she is really not good in social situations and we would find out ( usually from other kids) that she would sit in the class room every lunch time by herself, the new school takes much more of an interest, has special teachers aids available all the time, for some reason she has made so many more friends and in general just feels more secure , they also have smaller classes and no composite classes ( the public school was nearly all composite classes which used to confuse her) plus the difference in attitude in the teachers and principal is unbelievable , they contact SIL all the time and schedule regular meetings whereas she would have to always chase the other teacher and principal to even get them to talk to her, they also have, which I had never heard of before, a social room ( I think that's what they call it) and at lunch or morning tea it's a class room where there is always a teacher in there so if the kids are feeling sad or want to talk to someone they have somewhere to go

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    With my niece, the public school teachers to be honest didn't know how to handle her, they got a teachers aid in 2 days a week ( they said that's all the state would fund her for) which was great but the other 3 days she was lost, plus the other kids had just started to tease her, she is really not good in social situations and we would find out ( usually from other kids) that she would sit in the class room every lunch time by herself, the new school takes much more of an interest, has special teachers aids available all the time, for some reason she has made so many more friends and in general just feels more secure , they also have smaller classes and no composite classes ( the public school was nearly all composite classes which used to confuse her) plus the difference in attitude in the teachers and principal is unbelievable , they contact SIL all the time and schedule regular meetings whereas she would have to always chase the other teacher and principal to even get them to talk to her, they also have, which I had never heard of before, a social room ( I think that's what they call it) and at lunch or morning tea it's a class room where there is always a teacher in there so if the kids are feeling sad or want to talk to someone they have somewhere to go
    Aw ok. Glad she is much happier now I am pretty happy with our school as far as the social aspect /communication with teacher goes. I know they also have a group for lunch if the kids are lonely, and also older kids who volunteer to help out with the little ones at lunch. I just don't know if the "special ed" type of classes are often enough? But then I don't know if private schools would have more time devoted to them or not?

Although I have noticed the last couple of weeks she seems to be more interesting in TRYING to do homework (still has no idea) but I am thrilled she is trying! A few weeks back all I had was tears and tantrums when it was time to do anything learning related.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    SAB and Elijahs Mum, does it make a difference if the child has been diagnosed with something or not? DD1 is just delayed so I wonder if there would be much for her?
    Prior to being diagnosed, they gave her aide time at the times she was more likely to struggle. In Prep, they have a teacher + an aide for the whole class of 25 but they then gave her a one on one aide for certain times, with the option for me to fund more time. Post diagnosis they gave her aide time for nearly the whole classroom time. None for library, PE or lunch break times.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post: