+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 11wk old does not like play time on his playmat

Everyday I give DS time on his play mat (one with hanging toys, touch and feel sections) but he lasts all of 10 minutes and starts crying because he doesn't like it. He either wants me to cuddle him or sit in his bouncer. I'm concerned he's missing out on this valuable play time. Is there anything else I can do or will it change as he gets older?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I might be wrong, and my only experience is from being the eldest of nine, but I have a feeling that at 11 weeks a baby is still too little for 'play time' alone.

I think they are still only learning from personal interaction and are concerned with the basic needs fulfilment of food, warmth, cuddles and toileting - rather than being able to entertain themselves with toys.

What about putting him in a bouncer/rocker with a single holdable toy to play with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 12w old DD likes her play mat for about 10 minutes. I was just telling my mum how much she loved it there! All a matter of perception I guess. Either way, I think 10 minutes sounds about normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree that 10 mins is plenty of 'play time'. I wouldn't be worried at all
    Enjoy the snuggles now, while mum is more exciting than toys!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think 11 week olds really play. At all. They have very basic requirements, and I'm not sure playing is one of them.

If you're a bit worried about him missing out and suffering... I think it's probably more likely he'll suffer if he's not getting affection when he feels he requires it. They only want to be snuggled for such a short time... so make the most of it and if he's telling you he wants to be cuddled, or positioned elsewhere, listen to him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. And what I meant by 'play time' is not that he's actually playing because I know he's too young for this, but just being on his mat moving his arms and legs looking at the toys hanging etc. Visual and sound stimulation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I don't think 11 week olds really play. At all. They have very basic requirements, and I'm not sure playing is one of them.

If you're a bit worried about him missing out and suffering... I think it's probably more likely he'll suffer if he's not getting affection when he feels he requires it. They only want to be snuggled for such a short time... so make the most of it and if he's telling you he wants to be cuddled, or positioned elsewhere, listen to him.
    I definitely don't feel he's suffering, just want to make sure he receives the stimulation. He gets plenty of cuddles that's for sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    he will get stimulation from you talking to him, watching you cook etc, watching trees blow in the wind.... all those daily interactions are way more important than a play mat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few minutes " alone play" after each day feed is all that they need at 11 weeks - try to include tummy time as well. At that age my DS loved my singing and dancing and tickles more than his playmat. Now he is 5 months and we have a huge playmat on our lounge floor where I spend most of my time sitting or lying with him playing and he loves it.

We also go to GymbaRoo every week and he LOVES that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    he will get stimulation from you talking to him, watching you cook etc, watching trees blow in the wind.... all those daily interactions are way more important than a play mat.
    Of course they are