Just after a bit of advice. I got my BFN yesterday and will be seeing FS next week. We only got 2 eggs at EPU and I had a 4 cell embryo transferred 2 days after my EPU. I queried it at the time as I thought the transfer always happened at day 3 to 5 but FS said the embryo looked good and it was good to get it back where it should be as soon as possible. DH is a bit cynical and thinks she may have done the transfer on day 2 as day 3 was a Saturday. I don't want to think my FS would put her weekend before any of her patients needs but I guess I am wondering how often a 2 day transfer does occur and if any of you know the benefits of waiting?
I'm trying to formulate a list of questions for FS as I always feel that she is trying to rush me out the door whenever I see her and I don't want to be fobbed off.
Also, do any of you know if it is better to wait before trying to use a frozen embryo or would it be ok to just go for it? DH thinks my body may need a rest but I don't know yet whether I want to wait or just go for it. Anyone been through this before? What helped you decide?
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 20
03-03-2012 15:01 #1
Anyone had a transfer on day 2?
03-03-2012 15:41 #2Senior Member
- Join Date
- Oct 2010
Hi Little Feet,
I've been to two clinics that wait until day 5 to transfer. Having said that some FS think it''s best for the embie to go back sooner at day 3 - I've not really heard of day 2 before but maybe some of the other girls can share their experiences. The advantage of waiting till day 5 is you eliminate the weaker embies that stop dividing. Although some argue that they may divide better inside the mother - it's a bit of a debate. I get heaps of embies at day 3 but they stop dividing my day 5 sigh.
As for the FET your clinic probably has a protocol. Mine makes you wait a month before doing a FET after a full stim cycle to give your body a break from the drugs. But I don't think all clinics are like that.
Last edited by SummerShine; 03-03-2012 at 15:44.
The Following User Says Thank You to SummerShine For This Useful Post:
03-03-2012 16:49 #3
Hey Little Feet
for your bfn.
This caught my eye because my ET happened two days after OPU. When we saw the embie on the screen we were surprised to see it had only 4 cells (expecting 8) but our FS said that it was exactly where it should be. Maybe because it's our first cycle he didn't see a reason to push it to 3 or 5 days?
I'm interested in hearing what your FS has to say! Hope it goes well for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to elly_star For This Useful Post:
03-03-2012 19:19 #4
Hi little feet,
My FS offers day 2,3 &5 transfers and decides on a case by case basis, what we were told at our consent appointment was that depending on how many embryos we got would determine how long we'd wait. Ideally day 5 shows them which embryos are the fittest but if your lower on embryos they'll transfer sooner to make sure one gets back in and has a chance to be sticky, rather than run the risk of them all arresting and not getting any. Also, we were told that embryos do prefer to be in you rather than the lab.
Our Drs also always do 2 day transfers if you have EPU on a Thursday as they have to change the culture on day 3 and all the embryologists at our clinic have Sundays off - the price we pay for a cheaper cycle!
Im not sure about waiting but we were told we would have to have one month off before a FET (altho we had no transfer from 1st stim) as my body needs a break and my dr believes its rare that many women he treats falls preg in the month following a stim - in saying that I'd try if I could I just want to do something.
Thinking of you and wishing you all the best next cycle x
The Following User Says Thank You to Hope2487 For This Useful Post:
03-03-2012 20:05 #5
03-03-2012 20:08 #6
Basically, the school of thought is that a day 2 would normally be in the fallopian tubes and not be floating around the uterus looking to attach until day 5 so it's better to replicate real life and put a day five in. Does that make sense?
The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:
03-03-2012 20:10 #7
Having said that my son was a day 3 and my last transfer a hatching blasty was a BFN so I think if it's gunna stick it's gunna stick regardless of day.
03-03-2012 20:17 #8Senior Member
- Join Date
- Sep 2008
i have a DS from a day2 xfer (he was a 4 cell) and now 32 wks pg with another day2 xfer (a 5 cell or 4 cell)....my understanding is if u have enough embies u try for a day5 as many drop off at day4...but if u dont get many go with a day2 xfer..i know many many ppl who have babies from day2 xfers.. i did one day5 xfer that was a bfn..the wiat just sucked so bad when i only had one embie and had to wait til day5....one idea is that an embies best chance is in inside u and not in a dish ...i initially was very hung up about not getting blasty's but personally i have seen many successes with day 2..good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to jfblady72 For This Useful Post:
03-03-2012 20:35 #9
Little feet, i'd be interested to hear what your fs says as well. Our scientist told us that if you have lots of embryo's (we've got 9) they let them grow to day 5 to see which ones are the strongest, but i think all clinics seem to have a different take on it. If you only have a couple, they prob put them back in earlier.
Def make sure your FS gives you some answers, and reviews your last cycle with you to see what you might be able to change next time. Don't let her fob you off or rush you out, you're paying a lot of money and putting your body on the line, she should make sure gives you some good answers to put your mind at rest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:
03-03-2012 21:51 #10
I had a day2 transfer of 4cell embryos in December 2010 for the following reasons:
(a) the clinic wanted to go on Xmas holidays
(b) we planned to transfer 2, and were already down to the best 2 embryos so the selection process was complete.
That cycle did not work, but that doesn't necessarily say anything about the day 2 transfer, as those embryos were at the correct stage of development for that day.
I am currently pregnant with 2 embies that were running a day late in their development on day 5. We had morulas transferred, and both of them must have continued development through blastocyst stage and implanted, even though we didn't get to see that stage in the lab. So, even going to day 5 doesn't guarantee a blastocyst transfer. Out of 8 egg collections we only ever had 1 early blast on day 5, and never anything good enough to freeze on day 6 either.
The biggest issue I see with a transfer up to 8cell stage is that the embryo prefers a pyruvate environment for its energy needs (like as is in the Fallopian tubes), and only prefers a glucose environment (as found in the uterus) above 8cell stage. That said, I think the clinics growing to blast change the culture medium on day 3 regardless of the stage of embryo development, which is essentially the same decision as putting day 2 embies into the uterus.
The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:
Be In BlossomWe offer physiotherapy run pregnancy Pilates, pregnancy Aerobics, and Mummy Pilates & Baby Massage classes with a ...
LATESTToilet training: when is the best time to start?Why it is OK for your child to be differentWhat is a blessing way? How is it different to a baby shower?
POPULARWhen can I start giving chores to my children?New baby nursery checklist – a guide to newborn essentialsWhat to pack for labour and hospital – a checklist
FORUMS - chatting now ...
Chickenpox after being immunised?Pro-Vaccination
Would anyone like to have a guess for me?Baby's Gender
The Not So Serious Vent Thread #7General Chat
Career change - good idea?Working Hubbers - Employed
April/May TTC group chatConception & Fertility General Chat
Egg Donation in South Africa #14Egg Donation
IVF Babies due August/Sept/Oct' 16 #4pregnancy and babies through IVF
Dr Antony Lighten - Appreciation threadpregnancy and babies through IVF