+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stray cat

We had a cat that has been coming to our house for the last 6weeks or more. Before he came to us he was at a neighbors house, I only know as she had come around trying to find the owner.
    I took it to the vet this morning to check for microchip, sex and how old. He is a 2yr old boy but looks like he 1yr at the most cause he is so tiny.
    My problem is that we are getting 2 kittens next week, which we are looking forward to and after spending a couple of days with us this boy is just not coping having the kids around. He isn't mean and nasty. I can just see he is really irritated by the kids. He is a very loving cat and very beautiful.
    I need to find him a home. I was hoping he would like it with us.
    So if anybody in Perth knows someone who would love a beautiful 2yr old boy cat, that has older children or none, please let me know. I'm not just going to let him go onto the street again.
    He is desexed and I have wormed and flea treated today. He is healthy, just small.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Take him to the cat haven. They have more resources to find him a good loving home suited to his personality and can look after him while he is waiting to be homed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HOMS View Post
    Take him to the cat haven. They have more resources to find him a good loving home suited to his personality and can look after him while he is waiting to be homed.
    Agreed. You can also post on gumtree but watch out for dodgy people. Make sure if you take it to a shelter they have a no-kill policy.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Avoid Cat Haven!
    Call SAFE Perth or another Animal rescue group that can have him in a foster home and find a home for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What's wrong with the cat haven?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HOMS View Post
    What's wrong with the cat haven?
    Nothing 'wrong' with them, but they only have limited space so they have to euthanize.

This is a quote from an article from 2009 from Cat Haven. Obviously it was about the influx of kittens, especially around Chirstmas time, but still....

“After the peak cat breeding season, kittens start to filter in around about now. In December and January last Christmas the haven received around 1000 cats each month,” Ms Robinson said.

“As we can only provide a shelter for 120 cats at a time and only arrange fostering for a few, there is nowhere for the surplus to go, so you can imagine the shocking euthanasia figures. Some days our vets were having to euthanise close to 100 cats and kittens.
    If you call a rescue group like SAFE, the cat will be put into a foster home until it is rehomed and then you're sure the cat wont be euthanized.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow! 1000 a month

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hope you find a nice home for the little guy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I volunteered there and they were looking to foster and re-home cats and kittens with cat flu at the time, so I'm pretty sure the euthanasia is an absolute last resort. It's better than all those cats being on the street left to die of starvation and breed or turning feral IMO. As far as I'm aware they are always looking for foster carers as well which makes you wonder why SAFE and cat haven don't work together?
    Fair enough though, if there is somewhere that can arrange fostering and re-home with no possibility of them being euthanized then go there first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh dear, I thought I read 'Cat Heaven' and was horrified!

Poor kitty! I wouldn't take him to the RSPCA, they killed a cat we had taken there without informing us, even though we said we would take him if they couldn't find an owner. I home you can find a great home for him!