+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    Other people get rid of their cats for these reasons, and that's why animal shelters are overloaded with unwanted, rejected pets.

People know that cats will usually live for X amount of years. People also generally know that their own breeding years are usually between X and Y and that they MAY have babies in their future. Do they not consider these things when purchasing a pet?

Honestly, if you use common sense, your baby will be fine. My cat wanted to sleep in the cot before my baby was born... the moment she was born, he never went near it again. Some people install screen doors to the bedroom, so you can still hear the baby calling out from the cot, but the cat can't get in. It might be something to consider if you're worried about smothering.

Otherwise, just watch your baby when the cat's around.

Cat hair is unlikely to kill your baby unless it's born with a severe allergy. Not every baby will face-plant the carpet and lick it, getting a mouthful of cat hair. Our carpets were vacuumed maybe twice weekly... there were 2 cats in that house, and I don't think I ever had her choking on fur. Or even having a little bit of it in her mouth. The only risk was when she decided she'd try to munch on the cat itself, but they were smart enough to know to stay away from that wriggling, screaming thing that tried to grab them.

Keep your house relatively tidy, worm and flea your cats, and all should be well.

(And apologies if the irresponsible pet owner thing comes off as harsh and mean, but seriously... cats end up put to sleep for this crap all the time, and it's just disgusting that people who think pets are disposable like this are pet owners to begin with).
    Pets are also useful for doing a quick whip around for scraps under the high chair.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beccacino For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am astonished that people would consider giving up their pets just because they are having a baby. Pets and babies can definitely co-exist!! (in most instances).

We don't have cats, but like a PP I have also heard of people putting a screen door on the nursery so they can see/hear the baby but the cats can't get in and sleep in the cot/on the baby.

With regards to the pet fur, don't stress too much. We have a golden retriever who drops sooooo much fur it's ridiculous (I think she needs to be brushed more often). I vaccuum every couple of days but as soon as she comes inside its everywhere again. We never had an issue with DD swallowing fur, even when she decided that the dogs bed is the best place to lie down/play/roll around on. I had heard that allergies are less likely if your kids are around pets, but don't know how true that is. DD has asthma, but the dog fur doesn't seem to be a major trigger (being tested soon so will know then).

If you don't want the cats roaming when outside I think a cat run is a great idea!! Will also give them somewhere safe to go when your little one is up and moving and they don't want to be hassled

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Please don't get rid of your pets!! We have 2 inside cats who very much ruled the house before dd came along. They are very expensive cats and like to hunt so we didnt want to make them go outside to get run over or catch birds! Soooo...
    When I was pregnant, we set up dd's room and put a baby gate in the doorway so they couldn't get in there. They are big jumpers but I think because they can see through the bars, they think it goes all the way to the roof so they don't try jump it. My main reason to keep them out was to prevent them from sleeping on her things! Dd sleeps with us anyway and we often have a cat or two snuggling in with her. She is 16 months now and absolutely loves them! They tolerate her and let her kiss them and pull their tails. I had the same concerns when I was pregnant but heard Dr Harry say there has never been a proven case of a cat smothering a baby.
    You can also get baby gates with pet doors in them. We have one so dd doesn't get into their food in the laundry and it works a treat! Although I have seen her with one leg in the door trying to get through, she's never actually made it the whole way!

Thanks
    Reviews
    what? how ridiculous.....cats smothering babies is such an old wives tale.
    if he is that concerned, go to the baby shop and buy the cot net that goes over the cot to prevent animals, mossies etc. getting in.

we had an indoor cat and dog when our son was born AND we lived in a single, open plan shed. it was perfectly fine.

and as far as i know, a baby has never choked on cat hair......a pp mentioned it helps build immunity and i agree.

we have just had a baby girl and we have a dog, cat (same one!), kangaroo and today i'm going to pick up 2 bandicoots.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, your cats need this:

link

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a four year old cat and had no issues either!

DS is ten months now and climbs on him without worry!

Never had an issue with cat hair either. I mean he has probably ingested a few but never choked!

And yesterday was the first time DS got a warning tap on the head from the cat for biting his tail!

Like everyone else said, our cat was too scared when DS was a newborn and avoided him completely lol!

Also he is the most outgoing, bully of a cat normally (nicknamed by my friend as the godfather) yet he is so gentle around DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made a similar thread to this when I was pregnant, in it someone posted a helpful RSPCA link.

I have 2 indoor cats and they are still my babies. One runs in fear from the sounds bubs makes lol. The other sniffs her occasionally then goes on her merry way.

To ease my husbands mind we removed the internal timber door off bubs room and replaced it with a security screen door. It was $40 from the demolition yard. The cats come and go still but until bubs is old/big enough to push the cats away (if they enter her bed) they sleep out of her room at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made a similar thread to this when I was pregnant, in it someone posted a helpful RSPCA link.

I have 2 indoor cats and they are still my babies. One runs in fear from the sounds bubs makes lol. The other sniffs her occasionally then goes on her merry way.

To ease my husbands mind we removed the internal timber door off bubs room and replaced it with a security screen door. It was $40 from the demolition yard. The cats come and go still but until bubs is old/big enough to push the cats away (if they enter her bed) they sleep out of her room at night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 3 indoor cats And I also had concerns before DS was born. We ended up getting a bassinet that has a zip up fly net dome over it so cats/bugs couldn't get in. Also for a tent-like fly net cover for the cot, similar to those ones people use to cover food at gatherings.

When DS came along, the cats were a little suss of him and didn't really want to go near him.

We vacuum the house about twice a week, and sweep once or twice a day (entire house is timber floor or tiles). Only prob we've had with hair is when DS crawls around and discovers a delicious looking clump of hair/fluff and decides to have a munch. Hasn't really been much of a problem tho :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wonky Donkey View Post
    OP, your cats need this:

link

Screw Sirius and Remus, I want to live in that, myself!!!

Thanks so much for all the replies, I knew DH was being ridiculous! It had never crossed my mind to get rid of the cats but when we told the ILs last night it was one of the first things they said and DH agreed with them. I'm going to show him this thread.