+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Dropping the morning nap

My son is 16 months old and I feel its time to consider dropping his morning nap. This is because he has started waking up earlier in the morning- 5:15am today! I feel dropping the morning nap would help him sleep better at night.

How do I go about this without making him overtired? I need to merge a 9am nap for 30-45 mins and a 2pm nap for an hour into one long one! I'd probably aim for 2 hours just after lunch.

Any tips on how to do this gently?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When DD dropped her morning nap I did a couple of things to "help". Firstly, I made sure that we went out in the morning around the time when she would normally sleep - I found that if we stayed at home she would get whingy and want to go to bed, but if out she was easily able to stay up a bit longer. Then, when we got home it was lunchtime (really only mid-morning) which kept her happy and awake a bit longer. If she was desperately tired and still needed a morning nap I would give her one but often that meant a late afternoon nap - I would wake her from this no later than 3.30 to make sure she was still ready for bed.

DD was really ready to transition to one nap so I found it pretty painless. I am sure others will have some more specific suggestions for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Distraction is good. Make sure you give a good snack to keep him going then say aim for 10am and every few days stretch him out 15-20 mins longer til you get to a good time like 11/11.30am. You may also find that he will need to go to bed a little earlier at night til he gets used to having one big sleep. Good luck, once they get used to it some will sleep for up to 3hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think we just need to give it a try and see how he goes, as i'm a bit worried that by making the morning one gradually later he'll be hard to get down for the afternoon one! But its gotta happen sooner or later!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just decided to bite the bullet and change to one sleep at 12pm in one go. To keep him occupied we went out so he was in the car or stroller and conserving energy. We also made sure he had a snack when he got grizzly to keep him going. We would get home for lunch at 11-11.30 and that would keep him awake as well. It only took a few days for him to settle in to the new routine. He started having longer sleeps and started waking later. Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

TobysMumUK  (02-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bumping for further advice and experiences....

15 Month Dd has for the past two weeks not gone down for her arvo nap unless it's in the stroller (and even then only a catnap), so I know it's time to move on.

I'm a bit lost at the moment as she struggles to go past 930 in the morning without her first nap, and even if I stretch her to much later it's still only an hour nap, not long enough with one sleep - will it naturally get longer on its own or do I need to keep attempting to resettle her?

Any help/stories would be great.