+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Never

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    When they get their vaccinations, that's it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went once when DS was about a month old cause we were having breastfeeding issues. Completely useless and never bothered going again.

I was asking about over-supply, strong letdown, fore vs hind milk, cracked nipple etc etc etc. Seriously they gave me a pamphlet "how to breastfeed" that had about one paragraph of vague information on it. Really helpful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I get my son weighed and measured monthly, I have a great clinic nurse. Although I wouldn't say the info they give is detailed but hey that's what gp's and google is for! Lol...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have taken my daughter to all her scheduled appointments, the next being her 2 year appt.
    She was always small for her age since birth so getting her weighed to make sure she was gaining was useful. She also took a while to start talking and they did a test with her to put my mind at ease.
    My MHN was very pro-breastfeeding which was helpful in motivating me when things got tough, however I think she would be terrible for someone who chose to breastfeed. It should be a choice.
    Finally I do think you have to take their advice with a grain of salt, you know your child best and know what is normal or not normal for them.
    Oh and I just remembered that she told me my daughter was tongue tied and that was why she had difficulty breastfeeding, she gave me a number to get her tongue cut.
    I asked both my father (a dentist) and my paedatritian and both said she definately was not tongue tied.
    So I think they are generally good for basic information and also checking your baby is growing appropriately (if you don't have a chubbster )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a really good M&CHN and she's lovely. I went to all the visits I was 'meant' to attend for my ds til he was 18 months old. By that stage I'd seen a couple of fill in M&CHN's for my nice one and they were horrid & gave bad advice. So I stopped going.

This time around I've gone when I'm 'meant' to go (same nurse) and one day she was sick but the replacement nurse was lovely.

I think the schedule is 1 week, 2 weeks, 4 weeks, 8 weeks, 12 weeks, 4 months, 6 months, 8 months, 12 months, 18 months, 2 years .... something like that ... in Victoria anyway. I know with my ds I went a bit more often early on cause he had issues (was in special care for 8 days at birth).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Never, I drop into the clinic and weigh him myself when I am curious and take him to the doctor for check ups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had to go every fortnight for the first 6 months, as DS was prem and wasn't gaining weight properly in the first 2 weeks. At 4 months he weighed 10.5kg and at 6 months he was just short of 13kg.
    The nurses had been good old that time, until a temporary nurse tried to get me to put DS on a diet at 4 months. How you can put an exclusively breastfed bub on a diet, is beyond me. Oh well......

His fontanel closed over at 9 weeks, instead of the usual 9 months. So we had to get his head measured every 2 weeks until he was 6 months. Then we went to the clinic once a month to keep measuring his circumference.
    At 10 months they sent me to Early Childhood Intervention and at 2 years, 3 months we're still going there.
    Had I not gone to the clinic once a month, DS would've been even more delayed than he is now.

As I said, there are quite a few good nurses working here. Especially David.
    I think it differs from clinic to clinic as to how helpful and experienced a nurse is.