+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    NO
    NO
    NO

'religion' should be kept completely separate from education.
    we live in a multicultural society and no one religion (ie christianity) should be incorporated into public schooling. if parent want to, they can send their child to a religious school.

as to teach all religion, i don't think that will every really happen. the teacher will always sway towards their belief system. when they start doing history and geography, different religions and cultures will be taught but religion as a class, no.

my son's music teacher in pre-primary decided to take it upon herself to talk about christianity. my son came home in tears, saying he was not allowed to love me because i didn't believe in 'our saviour jesus christ'....
    ffs i hit the roof!!

thankfully my son knows a lot about different religions and experiences them first hand when we travel overseas.

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by halloweendee View Post
    NO
    NO
    NO

'religion' should be kept completely separate from education.
    we live in a multicultural society and no one religion (ie christianity) should be incorporated into public schooling. if parent want to, they can send their child to a religious school.

as to teach all religion, i don't think that will every really happen. the teacher will always sway towards their belief system. when they start doing history and geography, different religions and cultures will be taught but religion as a class, no.

my son's music teacher in pre-primary decided to take it upon herself to talk about christianity. my son came home in tears, saying he was not allowed to love me because i didn't believe in 'our saviour jesus christ'....
    ffs i hit the roof!!

thankfully my son knows a lot about different religions and experiences them first hand when we travel overseas.
    Far out! I'd have been furious! Would have been one angry dad storming to the school the next morning! What did you do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    told the principal that if it happened again, i'd lodge a complaint with the education dept.
    he raked her over the coals and it hasn't happened since.

i told my son that i'd happily take him to church so he can see what it's about and would do the same for any religion if he so chose. i just think it's a personal decision and one parents should address, not teachers.

Guest Guest
    No, not in primary school.
    In highschool I think a general religion class where you're taught about all faiths is more beneficial.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (01-03-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I am of the opinion that no child should be 'taught' any religion until they are at least 16 years of age, otherwise it's just indoctrination.

I'm ok with it being taught as part of cultural studies though providing it's not just one or two faiths but all 'everyday' faiths.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely not. I have no issue with a study of religions (all the major ones) being incorporated with an ethics type class though to teach understanding.
    If people want their child brought up in a particular religion thats fine, but they should do it on their own time. DF & I will be doing this with DD, taking her to Sunday School at our church (until she gets of an age to decide for herself) but I'd be livid if someone else took it upon themselves to try to teach her a religion - especially at a State School.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    No, I don't think religion should be taught in State Schools - unless, as others have said, it is a part of a wider curriculum incorporating learning about a number of major religions throughout the world. It certainly shouldn't be taught in its current form.

I must say that I loved being able to play computer games at school while everyone else had to go to RE classes though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes, as an extra curricular activity out of hours. For instance a primary school I know of holds."introduction to religion" for years 1 to 3 where they basically teach the names and give a very basic run down of different religions and cultural beliefs, then they do "studying relions" where they delve deeper into it and give the history of each religion and cultural belief they talked about, which is for years 4 to 7. It's from 8.30 to 8.50 and at that school first bell goes at 8.55 so the parents not only have to give written permission, but also take them at the right time. The high school offers religious history as an elective (doesn't count towards their OP though) in years 10 to 12 and holds a Bible Study night for those over 16. So again, not only is written permission required, but also parents have to get their kids to school in the evening.

I choose religion for my family, I choose to send her to a religious school where they talk about religion throughout the day. I believe various options should be made available at public schools, but not in school hours.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Double post.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 01-03-2012 at 13:15.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Not in it's current form, no. I am fine with a cultural studies approach, where all religions are studied but not a single religion taught as fact to children who are not capable of critical thought.
    This, absolutely.

At the moment it's more a case of jamming Christianity down the throats of impressionable little children.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (01-03-2012)