+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow - I'd be majorly p!ssed if my 5yo who can't tie his own laces, broke his leg or hurt himself because a teacher wouldn't tie his laces!
    Seriously the risks of them hurting themselves is far greater then the chance of having wee on the laces....plus haven't they heard of hand sanitiser?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Bub Hub

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MummyHas3boys For This Useful Post:

misho  (29-02-2012),twotrunks  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A velcro ban in schools is completely baffling, surely this is not the norm? We move all of the time, and this is our 3rd school, and in researching schools each time, I've looked into 20+ schools in depth and never come across such a thing.

I think any adult should tie the shoes of a young child, whether asked or not, including teachers. However, I can only imagine how time consuming it is for teachers to tie the laces of all of the children that cannot tie their own several times a day. Therefore I do believe that if your child is not attending some weird velcro free zone school, and cannot tie their own laces they should be wearing velcro shoes, or as my DD1 does, those sneakers with elastic laces.

And I do not believe it should be the responsibility of teachers to teach children how to tie laces, I think this falls squarely into parental responsibility territory.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd be bringing it to the teachers attention too & concerned about tripping!

Before jasper turned 3 his Jnr kindy teacher took me aside to talk about the fact jasper couldn't put on & take off & do up his own shoes (Velcro, but if the Velcro thing slipped out he couldn't thread it back in) she told me I HAD to teach him how to thread the Velcro back through. And how her job is to supervise & not to be doing their shoes for them.

he was freaking 2.5 years old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm loving the snr kindy teacher now! He's with the 3-5 year olds now and his new teacher seems to have a lot more gentle & hands on approach. All the older room teachers are so so lovely. I just couldn't believe that a child carer didn't think their job should involve dressing TODDLERS!!!!

Anyhoooo I'd expect a teacher would a) tie their laces if they cannot or b) tell me they won't tie their laces & I'll buy him shoes he can get on himself & if they aren't allowed Velcro shoes at school refer to point a! But I'd also want to hear the teachers POV, it is hard when they all want their shoes done & I do definitely notice if I start doing shoes children who could put their shoes on themselves all of a sudden cannot so I've told even 4 year olds just to try & intending on getting back to them & then something happens (child hurts themselves or something) and forgotten I was going to help a child with their shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My two, before they could tie their own, had theirs tied in a granny knot- stayed in all day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think this is one of those issues that is being blown way out of context

Teachers barely have enough time in a crowded curriculum to cover the basics without needing to be dressing kids and tying shoe laces all day - and in my observation at school and of my own kids, shoe laces on some kids just seem to be needed to be tied 20 times a day and on other kids they go home without so much as a mote of dust on the patent leather dress shoes.

What do we actually want from teachers at schools? Teachers seemed to get blamed for everything and very little kudos for kids actually learning to spell, read, write and count to ten as it seems that so many parents crow about kids doing all that before they get to school and yet many parents fail to teach manners, how to blow a nose and get out of the rain.

Tying shoelaces is a skill that needs to be taught by parents before a kid gets to school, and then those kids who do need extra support ought be supported by the education system and extra help while teachers get about their core business, teaching the kids.

I think most teachers wouldn't mind tying the odd shoe lace and I think parents need to take a bit of responsibility in teaching basic life skills

As for the madness that occurs at swimming time, I'm not surprised that a teachers concentration is on supervising kids, making sure they don't lose a ki, making sure that the kids are at least basically dressed and I think shoe laces is probably the least of their concerns at that time.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (29-02-2012),alexsmom  (29-02-2012),Mysurprisebaby  (29-02-2012),RunningWithScissors  (01-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Get Velcro/slip-on etc and continue on with your teaching of tying laces I would say. I wouldn't expect a teacher to have to tell a parent that their own child can't tie shoelaces - I mean surely the child's parent would already know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I agree that yes the parents are responsible for teaching their child how to tie their own shoe laces, I find it sad and disheartening that teachers of lower primary school (prep/reception etc) are refusing to tie up shoe laces for their students.

While I've been fortunate to teach my dd aged 5, how to tie her laces (she mastered that skill by the end of week 1 of reception) for her sports shoes, she can't quite grasp it for her black school shoes - the laces are considerably shorter than the sports ones (2 days in sports uniform - 3 in formal school dress and black shoes).

In my line of work, I need to keep my hand hygiene as meticulous as possible, but if a patient is crashing (I'm an emergency nurse) we don't have the time to put on the gloves etc cos then valuable time is lost. We just wash our hands after...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    What do we actually want from teachers at schools? Teachers seemed to get blamed for everything and very little kudos for kids actually learning to spell, read, write and count to ten as it seems that so many parents crow about kids doing all that before they get to school and yet many parents fail to teach manners, how to blow a nose and get out of the rain.
    I personally am soooo thankful to my son's teachers. They're great.

I'd be very disappointed in saying that if they were disgusted by his shoelaces simply because he's a boy, or let another child tie his shoelaces because they didn't want dirty hands... or allow him to run around with shoelaces untied and risk falling. I don't expect them to teach him shoelace tying - I do expect them to ensure his safety (and the other children's hygiene) while he's on school grounds.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Deserama  (29-02-2012),misho  (29-02-2012),SassyMummy  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I am quite shocked that so many mums are grossed out by touching a boys shoe laces? Surely you've touched worse things than a bit of pee on a shoe lace? Just wash hands after?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

misho  (29-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    While I don't agree with the whole no velcro thing- I can def understand it- although it certainly DOES NOT ensure a child will learn how to tie their shoelaces.

This responsibility lies with the parents- although it'd be much appreciated if the teacher could help me out on this one. I'm not saying its her responsibility or that she is obligated to but just like I pay my "voluntary" school contributions and help out in the classroom and donate various items to the school- I'd appreciate and welcome her help whenever she can spare it.

My nephew is 9, turning 10 in July. He has NEVER been taught how to tie his shoelaces. He is bought shoes and he slips in and out of them without the laces being undone. His shoes are revolting and I admit I do squirm at the thought of touching those horrid things- but I do none the less. Various people (including myself) have tried to teach him but 1 shoelace tie a week/fortnight is not going to help in the way of learning.
    Last edited by SimplyMum; 29-02-2012 at 14:51.