+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Are you happy to pay for school fees whether it's compulsory or not?

I happily just pay the account when it arrives, tbh I have never given it a thought as to whether it's compulsory or not I just pay it! I have no issues paying for my childs education nor do I expect it to be funded by the government. I totally expect to be responsible for payment of my child's education but have to say from reading the other post I think if one pays it everyone should pay it. They should make it compulsory. And people seriously can't expect their child to be included in excursions or outings etc if they haven't paid their fees surely????
    my bold.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    I agree 100% with this. I also think it should come from the same pool of funding, unlike the current system where state schools are primarily funded by the state governments and private schools are primarily funded by the federal government.

Absolutely. Schooling should all be federally funded, or at least a standard set by the federal government if the states are going to fund it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    I think the OP is aimed at the parent, not the child and not in a malice way.
    If you refuse to pay for your childs school excursion, who will pay it? Even when I was in school,excursions weren't free, so surely parents realise they have to be paid for.
    If a parent is having financial hardship I'm positive no parent or school would allow that child to miss out, I don't believe that's the suggestion in this thread?
    The exclusion however is not due to not paying the excursion fee, it is the other fees. My daughters high school specifically has that clause in their documentation. If there are any outstanding accounts, then any money provided to the school will go towards those accounts not what the parents intended it for. Therefore, if there is an outstanding account, the child is excluded from an excursion because the money provided for the excursion would be redirected to the outstanding account instead.

I personally disagree with this tactic, though understand the school sees it as the easiest way to recoup outstanding accounts.

------

Similarly, at the previous High School my two eldest attended, they caused significant upset by dredging up outstanding accounts a couple of months before the year 12 formal, and stating that anyone who hadn't paid all their fees would not be allowed to go to the formal. For some people, this was the entirety of fees for the full five years. My daughter even mentioned one boy (whom had moved out of home and was living independantly) and was issued with a bill for $2400 three weeks before the formal. He just shrugged and said there was no way he could pay it so didn't go.

Also, most people had paid the $50 deposit towards the formal plus spent money organising their formal outfits prior to being told they had to pay outstanding accounts or miss out.

The school also refused to issue end-of-year report cards if fees weren't paid. So these students likely thought they had already been punished for nonpayment by missing out on report cards.

-------------------

Also, there can be disagreements about bills. For example, today I just received a letter from the primary school stating that their records show that my 13yo owes them $48 for money from a box of chocolates for fundraising that wasn't returned last year. Now last year we were too busy at the time so didn't take any chocolates to sell. However, months down the track it will be difficult to prove either way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    The exclusion however is not due to not paying the excursion fee, it is the other fees. My daughters high school specifically has that clause in their documentation. If there are any outstanding accounts, then any money provided to the school will go towards those accounts not what the parents intended it for. Therefore, if there is an outstanding account, the child is excluded from an excursion because the money provided for the excursion would be redirected to the outstanding account instead.

I personally disagree with this tactic, though understand the school sees it as the easiest way to recoup outstanding accounts.

------

Similarly, at the previous High School my two eldest attended, they caused significant upset by dredging up outstanding accounts a couple of months before the year 12 formal, and stating that anyone who hadn't paid all their fees would not be allowed to go to the formal. For some people, this was the entirety of fees for the full five years. My daughter even mentioned one boy (whom had moved out of home and was living independantly) and was issued with a bill for $2400 three weeks before the formal. He just shrugged and said there was no way he could pay it so didn't go.

Also, most people had paid the $50 deposit towards the formal plus spent money organising their formal outfits prior to being told they had to pay outstanding accounts or miss out.

The school also refused to issue end-of-year report cards if fees weren't paid. So these students likely thought they had already been punished for nonpayment by missing out on report cards.

-------------------

Also, there can be disagreements about bills. For example, today I just received a letter from the primary school stating that their records show that my 13yo owes them $48 for money from a box of chocolates for fundraising that wasn't returned last year. Now last year we were too busy at the time so didn't take any chocolates to sell. However, months down the track it will be difficult to prove either way.
    that is so incredibly sad... and so unbelievably low!
    I thought my high school with holding report cards and calling people up on parade was low... but that.... that just takes the cake

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    And people seriously can't expect their child to be included in excursions or outings etc if they haven't paid their fees surely????
    I expect a child to included in an excursion if the excursion fee is paid. I do not expect a child that has an outstanding other fee to be excluded when they have the money for the excursion itself.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (27-02-2012),Deserama  (27-02-2012),GrabbyCrabby  (27-02-2012),SassyMummy  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post

------

-------------------

I remember this ruling being in my school (public) ... going to show my age now ... 16 years ago. I remember reading it in the school newsletter that if the levy wasn't paid - no report and no school formal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it a little sad that some parents don't believe in contributing financing to their children's public school education... Education so very important & valuable! I will do all in my power to support my children's education & school.

However in saying that no child should ever be disadvantaged because their parent/s choose not to pay school fees or cannot afford to do so!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it a little sad that some parents don't believe in contributing financially to their childrens public school education... Education so very important & valuable! I will do all in my power to support my children's education & school.

However in saying that no child should ever be disadvantaged because their parent/s choose not to pay school fees or cannot afford to do so! It should also kept private who has or hasn't paid!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Witholding report cards for not paying VOLUNTARY contribution???

That would be like the red cross getting hold of your mail from the mailbox and holding it ransome if you don't donate to their cause - or any charity for that matter!

Do people not know what VOLUNTARY means? Means you pay if you can/want to. It is not a tax, you do not have to pay to use the service. You do not have to pay AT ALL. No one should be judged for not paying anymore than being judged for not donating to breast cancer research.

"Well I donate to cancer research, I'm so great, it's not fair that other people don't....surely they can afford x amount a year, some people just don't value their kid's health"
    Last edited by Deserama; 27-02-2012 at 14:41.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deserama For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (27-02-2012),share a book  (27-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I find it a little sad that some parents don't believe in contributing financially to their childrens public school education... Education so very important & valuable! I will do all in my power to support my children's education & school.

However no child should ever be disadvantaged because their parent/s choose not to pay school fees or cannot afford to do so! It should also kept private who has or hasn't paid!