+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    Just thought I'd pop in and check on you all

My Spirited lovelies are 7yrs old now. YAY for me!! I've just bought her next book "Kids, Parents and Power Struggles"... worth a read!
    I remember reading the padded cell many years ago and thinking surely O and J can't be that 'naughty'. Now I know that 'naughty' is not the word to describe them. They like my dd2 just have 'more' to offer...

I can't believe the boys are 7. Gosh time flies.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Why child, why did you wake up at 5:30 on a weekend????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's time to admit that dd is a spirited child. I don't know why I'm surprised she is a mini me after all. Very stubborn and knows what she wants
    I don't know what to blame on toddler tantrums though
    Yesterday took her to hospital to watch the ultrasound of newbie. She spent a lot of time screaming no and dh and I and running off and making annoying noises. Dh is so frustrating in these situations as his patiences is very thin and is expectations of her a large and he still expects me to chance after her at 20 weeks pregnant while he sits and reads the book he brought

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    When DS was younger, I just assumed all toddlers acted this way (I didn't know a lot of parents with kids his age). We then had a family friend visit with her toddler, and the toddler was playing so nicely, quietly, *calmly*...she seemed almost subdued in comparison to my DS. At one stage she even sat down on the floor - sat STILL - to eat a biscuit, and just calmly and quietly chewed it until she was finished, and then hopped up again. I was gobsmacked!

Gradually I have met more and more toddlers and have come to realise that DS is 'different'. Not 'bad' different - just different. Like WCM said - more intense, louder, faster, more energetic, more persistent, more sensitive.

Life with DS can be a huge struggle. It's near impossible taking him out...events are a nightmare and I would never even contemplate taking him grocery shopping. Most days are exhausting.

My biggest pet peeve is people who are ignorant when it comes to spirited children - people who think he's being naughty or think his behaviour is a result of poor parenting (especially because I don't smack etc). I'm slowly learning to ignore it though...I know i'm doing the best job I can, and he's a pretty amazing little guy I don't see 'spirited' as being a negative thing...just challenging...and very, very tiring
    Dd was like that as a young baby and young toddler than just after two the spirited child emerged. I sometimes wonder where did she go but she was always spirited just waiting for her moment to shine

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (26-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel so much better and less of a failure reading this thread!

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Why child, why did you wake up at 5:30 on a weekend????
    Ha.

I wish I had even half the energy DS has at 5.30...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone travelled with a spirited toddler? We are heading to NZ when DD is 20 months. We will be armed with an iPad full of wiggles and her favourite books. Any other suggestions? She hates sitting still...

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdgirl99 View Post
    Has anyone travelled with a spirited toddler? We are heading to NZ when DD is 20 months. We will be armed with an iPad full of wiggles and her favourite books. Any other suggestions? She hates sitting still...
    We have done several long trips with our spirited child. It can be a nightmare, but it's not an option for us to cease travelling, it's a huge passion of mine

My advice is a never ending supply of activities - especially ones your child hasn't seen/done before, plus old favourites. Even when you think you have packed enough activities, pack five more Don't bring a new one out until the old one has been discarded.

Also walk with her up and down the aisles and have plenty of food/snacks on hand.

I'm going on a 22 hour plane trip in two months time with my kids...eeeep! I think the iPhone is going to be a bit of a saviour, until it runs out of battery :-/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

nerdgirl99  (25-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Todays out-of-control tanty (hitting, screaming NO and GO AWAY, put him in his room as he couldn't/wouldn't stop whacking me around the legs) was about wanting his oranges transferred from the plate HE BLOODY CHOSE to a bowl. I said no, that the plate was what he wanted the orange on so thats it.

We are taking him out by himself with just DH and I this arvo to go on train ride, and have spent all morning bribing him with an ice cream treat if he doesn't hit or say "go away". Hope we have a pleasant afternoon

I love him dearly, but some days I wish I had a wallflower kid!
    Last edited by breakthemould; 25-02-2012 at 13:03. Reason: typo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    We have done several long trips with our spirited child. It can be a nightmare, but it's not an option for us to cease travelling, it's a huge passion of mine

My advice is a never ending supply of activities - especially ones your child hasn't seen/done before, plus old favourites. Even when you think you have packed enough activities, pack five more Don't bring a new one out until the old one has been discarded.

Also walk with her up and down the aisles and have plenty of food/snacks on hand.

I'm going on a 22 hour plane trip in two months time with my kids...eeeep! I think the iPhone is going to be a bit of a saviour, until it runs out of battery :-/
    This.

The last time I flew with DS was a year ago when he was 17 months and he chewed the vinyl of the back of the seat infront of us headrest!! I didn't realise what he was doing until he sat back with blue flakes all over his cheeks!

He then barged into business class shrieking like a banshee and threw his blankie ontop a sleeping asian mans head which I had to extract ever so carefully while half the plane watched on in amusement. It was a family trip and my dad was seated two rows behind DH, DS and I and dad looked up from his book, saw what was going on, and put his earplugs in, eye mask on and pretended he didn't belong to us

Luckily a lovely lady at the back of the plane thought DS was 'delightful' and sent him up and down the aisle from my seat to hear seat with things to 'deilver' to me (napkins and safety charts!). It was lovely to have a stranger be so supportive.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (25-02-2012)