+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    No I don't count that as too much. I also think it's easier to do more activities when they are younger and have all day every day to fill in. I just don't see the need for 5 and 6 year olds to have music classes before school, a full day at school, then straight on to swimming lessons/art lessons/sport/ language classes/dancing/martial arts etc. etc. School is exhausting enough! Let them chill about it and be a kid.

I just know for us, DD1 simply wouldn't cope. In year one now and still exhausted and all she wants to do when she comes home is play. When she does Tae Kwan Do she sometimes complains that she's not getting as much time to play...even though she's off to an activity she really enjoys. In her head it's completely different. She has lots on her list of things she wants to experience extra curriculum wise but she chooses the one she wants to do the most and knows she can change to something else whenever she wants (within reason...eg. we pay for TKD every 2 months so if she decides she wants to stop she'll need to finish off that 2 month period, or finish a season of sport if that's what she was doing etc.)
    One of dd's classmates does:
    Monday 7 to 8 school swimming then goes to school which is 8.25 to 2.45, then swimming from 3.30 to 4.30
    Tuesday 7.30 to 8 music, then walks to school from the music teacher's house, then after school does swimming 3.30 to 4.30
    Wednesday school swimming 7 to 8, then after school swimming 3.30 to 4.30
    Thursday music 7.30 to 8, then after school gymnastics 3.30 to 4.30, then competition swimming 6 to 8
    Friday school swimming 7 to 8, after school swimming 3.30 to 4.30, karate 7.30 to 8.30
    Saturday (unsure of times) life saving, gymnastics, and through winter athletics

I know this because dd does school swimming with her 3 mornings a week and I was talking to the mum about music and she has her dd with the teacher we were going to go with but decided not to, I also know about gymnastics because the dd used to do it. We are looking into lifesaving too, the kid wears the lifesaving togs so she told me that was on saturday. I know about swimming because if dd was to do squad training, that's where she would go, and the kid does athletics through winter with dd. Karate is another one dd wants to do. If I homeschool I might let her, not sure yet. I really think that's too much when you add homework into it as well. I guess she has sunday to play her own games, unless she does other stuff that wasn't mentioned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hope I didn't offend. It was an honest question.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think there's a push to give kids an edge, to make them more talented/advanced than other kids. If that is the motivation behind scheduling activities rather than a child's own enjoyment, then it probably isn't a good idea.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellymoe For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (21-02-2012)

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think some kids are...but we dont know the reasoning behind why the kids have soo many activities.

Maybe the kids love all the sports and want to do all of them as often as possible. Maybe the kids get bored and enjoy being out all the time doing something. Maybe they get hyperactive and doing lots of spots etc. is a good way to channel that energy or frustration.

My DS gets soooo extremely bored at home. There are no kids in the neighbourhood that he knows (new estate) and hasnt got any siblings. Im sure he would love to have a different sport or club to go to every day. Unfortunately alot of clubs/sports have their main 'games' on a Saturday...so can only do one at a time.
    Last year he did Auskick....didnt like it. He then did karate and little athletics. He got bored of them. Next month he is starting dancing which is on Saturdays. I wont choose any other sports that are on Saturday or Sunday as I dont want his weekend overbooked.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pianolady View Post
    Way too busy now days. We have made a rule that the kids are allowed **one** activity each. Otherwise its too much. I honestly dont know how mums do it... sport until 5 pm, get home, cook dinner, homework etc. How do they cook homemade meals etc without the kids eating at 7 pm?
    I guess it would all depend on where they play sport etc. Mum might have the early evening at home alone I prepare meal, or have pre-prepared the earlier.

I get our meals sorted around 3ish before kindy pickup, and whilst babies asleep.

I find it easier to get their meals sorted when they aren't bugging me in the kitchen for everything and anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pianolady View Post
    I hope I didn't offend. It was an honest question.
    I thought it was. I have a relative who feeds her kids dinner in the car on the way to one of their 8468423866557 activities. Pretty sure they eat breakfast there as well. I guess some people have the balance right and some (like her) risk burning-out her kids and herself.
    Last edited by Ellymoe; 20-02-2012 at 22:14. Reason: Spelling!

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dd runs on schedule all the time school, home hospital every thing. She has free play but its scheduled in at times that are suitable

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Probably, but all of us are. I know in my families case, my dh works longer hours than my father ever did, I am working and studying and it will require two incomes to buy our house. My dh and I are on a schedule, so it stands to reason the kids are too.

When I was a kid, my mum was at home, money was tighter but they could afford to buy their house on dad's income. Kid's in my neighbourhood mainly did one activity, if any at all. We all played together in the street or in each others backyards. Parents yelled out the front door when dinner was ready. My kids never play out the front of our house unless I am there supervising. Playdates are scheduled with other parents, not spontaneous. Dancing and sport provides my kids with weekly scheduled playdates with kids they know, without having to arrange something with another parent. Yes, it's more structured than what I had, but they are still spending time with friends and that is what the true purpose of their lessons are. Learning a sport or dancing is just an added bonus to the social and exercise opportunity.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (20-02-2012)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Every week my DS has a private swimming lesson, speech therapy, attends kindy 3 days a week, has a soccer lesson (at kindy) and goes to a mother's group once a fortnight. If truth be told I would love to enrol him in the dance group at kindy but I can't justify it but he LOVES to dance and sing (and we do lots of that at home).

He loves all of these activities and gets excited about all of them and I love being organised. *shrug*

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I can see where it can get out of hand but honestly I think every family and every kid is different! Like if you had 4/5/6+ kids I can imagine it would e quite hard to have them doing 3+ activities but then I bet there's a family out there somewhere that does it! Where as if you only have 1-2 kids then you'd have much more time to ferry them to multiple activities.

I'm not a super organised person but I am very social, so we do SOMETHING most days, but that might just the park,library, mothers group etc I try to leave the afternoons for free play!