+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default SAHMs - do you worry about your child's education?

I'm a SAHM with 2 toddlers who are in my care all bar 2 hours a fortnight. Though we do lots of playing and reading they don't do any of the sorts of activities they would in childcare and I sometimes worry that this will leave them at a disadvantage compared to other children who have been to CC.

I'm starting a group that goes on outings and playdates with a focus on activities being educational and I've pulled out an early childhood education resource book for ideas to do at home.

Am I the only one worried about this?

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm honestly not concerned...in fact, I think mine are far better off at home in regards to learning, from what i've seen in the centres (just my personal opinion).

I have done a lot of research into it and we complete a lot of activities which stimulate and challenge my little ones, relevant to their ages. I have a few developmental textbooks from uni which I refer to from time to time and I have an organised system set up with boxes full of particular items, i.e.: Music box, craft/drawing box, play dough box, dress ups, sensory box for the little one with feathers/silks etc. We read several hundred () stories a day, cook together, dance, do gardening and I make sure we get out and about to the museum, zoo etc and for nature walks in the afternoons.

When I was at the height of my PND, all I wanted to do was stay at home and hide from my children, so admittedly my eldest would have been better at daycare at that stage... there are still days when i'm *very* unmotivated though

There are some things I can't offer my kids at home, and for those things they attend classes which i'm present at.

It sounds like you are on the right track with the educational playgroup idea

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No not really, I do everything that they would do in day care and we do a lot more real life activities like cooking, washing dishes, laundry, cleaning plus all the fun stuff, outings as a family or one-one with DF when he is home. I'll admit since DD came along we don't do art as much, probably only 2-3 times a week. They probably don't have as much crammed into one day (i will only have one art thing a day unless its drawing) but I think they get more time to do an activity then they would at dc.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    I'm a SAHM with 2 toddlers who are in my care all bar 2 hours a fortnight. Though we do lots of playing and reading they don't do any of the sorts of activities they would in childcare and I sometimes worry that this will leave them at a disadvantage compared to other children who have been to CC.

I'm starting a group that goes on outings and playdates with a focus on activities being educational and I've pulled out an early childhood education resource book for ideas to do at home.

Am I the only one worried about this?
    I think this is a great idea given you pr DHs line of work

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I get a lot of daycare activities from a book called 501 TV Free Activities for Toddlers, and homeschooling Kindy (3 to 5 year) workshops and internet sites. If you don't have that activity book, they are sold at bookshops for different age groups, and very fun to do. A lot of them aren't suitable for childcare, but we did them at home and had a great time.

By the end of Semester 1 of Prep you can't tell which kids went to daycare, kindy, pre-prep, or stayed at home.

If you are after an activity, Mainly Music is loads of fun for mums and kids, and introduces them to music. My dd went from before she turned 1 and by 6 was able to handle and play some notes on an acoustic guitar, she is very much a music lover. All stuff you can do at home, but a good social activity for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Nope, honestly not worried one little bit.

How do you think that people managed before child care centres were around?

Apart from involving my girls in ordinary life, I don't follow any educational programs or the like, and they are actually both very advanced for their age. Socially, and 'academically'.

For eg. DD1 (3.5) can write her own name, and DD2 (2) can recognise many letters and numbers. I haven't even gone out of my way to show them these things, they have just worked it out. They both have huge vocabularies for their age, and can communicate with all sorts of people - from their friends to other adults etc, even my 2 year old.

Sorry if this sounds like a brag, it's not meant to be at all.... all kids shine in their own areas... I just wanted to illustrate my point.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, I don't worry at all, especially as my two at home are toddlers and under 3. I'm very similar to Witwicky, in that I try and fill our days at home with constructive things, whether that be them 'helping' me bake, tending to our little vegie garden, play dough, drawing/painting, climbing etc. We are avid book readers here, so there is always story time and rest time when they need it.

The days we're not at home are spent at play group and a play gym group and when I see my not yet three year old around her peers, she is far more advanced socially and speech wise etc and it seems her little sister is following in her footsteps.

Some days we just have a 'rest' day where they quietly play and even that is beneficial in that they learn to share, not fight, take turns etc. It doesn't always have to be structured, I find as long as they're not plonked in front of the tv for extended periods of time, they're happy to be stimulated with both structured and non structured play/activities.

Apart from having more kids around them, I can't see how child care is anymore beneficial to what they're getting here at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My kids have been in both situations and i think both have merits.

As long are you are exposing them to social situations which is what alot of the focus is in kindy i think you have the same benefit.

I think learning to read, write, colour, count and other life experiences you dont get at kindy and one on one time with the parents is as important.

Kids these days have 13 years at school keep them home as long as possible.

Goodluck with your mothers group i think that is such a wonderful idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    I'm honestly not concerned...in fact, I think mine are far better off at home in regards to learning, from what i've seen in the centres (just my personal opinion).

I have done a lot of research into it and we complete a lot of activities which stimulate and challenge my little ones, relevant to their ages. I have a few developmental textbooks from uni which I refer to from time to time and I have an organised system set up with boxes full of particular items, i.e.: Music box, craft/drawing box, play dough box, dress ups, sensory box for the little one with feathers/silks etc. We read several hundred () stories a day, cook together, dance, do gardening and I make sure we get out and about to the museum, zoo etc and for nature walks in the afternoons.

This, word for word!

Mine have also done dance, gymnastics and music classes on and off. We visit friends with other children and playgroup for interaction.

DD has just started kindy and of course it's mainly down to her personality, but she is one of the more thriving/outgoing children starting there. Maybe there is a difference though, as her kindy teacher said she acts like she has alreay been to kindy and asked if she was in any type of care. (she hasn't, except for two months of disaster child care at 2.) The kindy teacher said that a lot of kids from home have never painted, or used scizzors and glue etc. I do know Mums who never do this at home because of the mess, so I guess it could be a problem if children aren't stimulated at home?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyLittleTootsies View Post
    This, word for word!

Mine have also done dance, gymnastics and music classes on and off. We visit friends with other children and playgroup for interaction.

DD has just started kindy and of course it's mainly down to her personality, but she is one of the more thriving/outgoing children starting there. Maybe there is a difference though, as her kindy teacher said she acts like she has alreay been to kindy and asked if she was in any type of care. (she hasn't, except for two months of disaster child care at 2.) The kindy teacher said that a lot of kids from home have never painted, or used scizzors and glue etc. I do know Mums who never do this at home because of the mess, so I guess it could be a problem if children aren't stimulated at home?
    That really surprises me! My kids love that kind of thing.

We just have a trestle table outside in our courtyard for the messy stuff.