+ Reply to Thread
    Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Change of child's name

I'm after some info about changing a child's surname. The kids currently have their fathers surname, but I would like to change it to mine, or hyphenate it (he is completely ok with this happening...we just have to decide which). The boys are aged 2.5 and 10 months.

What is the process? And will the kids have to indicate a 'previous name' when filling out forms for the rest of their life? (I don't want to make things hard for them).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The kids currently have their fathers surname, but I would like to change it to mine, or hyphenate it (he is completely ok with this happening...we just have to decide which). The boys are aged 2.5 and 10 months.What is the process?
    If you have the father's permission it is usually a matter of attending Births, Deaths and Marriages office in your state/territory, filling out the right forms, providing your ID and paying the required fee. Do check with your area as rules can differ (eg I know they differ between SA and Qld).

The Registrar will then check over everything and send you out the official name change certificates which you then use to change everything over. Then it's just a matter of incorporating their new names into everyday usage.

And will the kids have to indicate a 'previous name' when filling out forms for the rest of their life? (I don't want to make things hard for them).
    Technically yes. Same with women who marry and adopt their husband's name. They, too, technically have to indicate yes to a previous name. Personally, I don't unless I'm before a Judge or something...not that I've ever been before a judge

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Witwicky (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    yes they will.. i think maybe its under 1 you can change the name and not have to. but after that they will have the previous name..

cant imagine it would come up until marriage though. so dont worry about making life hard with a name change

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mummaof4 For This Useful Post:

Witwicky (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Given that they are so young I wouldn't bother as such saying previous names. However I do put my birth name down despite never been know by that only because it's on my birth certificate. I hate having to put 3 names down for previous names
    I think the fee is around $150

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

Witwicky (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post

What is the process? And will the kids have to indicate a 'previous name' when filling out forms for the rest of their life? (I don't want to make things hard for them).
    Yes they will - my husband had a different name at birth, was changed around 3-4yrs. He hates having to always include or mention it!! It makes him feel embarrassed, like he has something to hide when having to disclose it for some reason.

Married women are little different as usually it will ask for maiden name and make reference to your marriage.