+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We looked at so many centres before settling on the one we have DS1 in now. So many delivered "care" in ways I didn't agree on and I couldn't stand the thought of leaving DS1 there for even a second. It was hard for us as there's not a lot of vacancies in our area and we got lucky with a new centre where the carers actually care. DS1 had never been without DH or myself, never babysat by anyone, so it was important for us to have somewhere he would be given the attention he needed to adjust to a new environment. DH is a SAHD so we have a different situation to most people but it did mean that DH couldn't look for pt work until DS1 was setttled in and that took time. As it happened, the carers really put the effort into DS1 and, it took time, but eventually my non-sleeping baby ended up sleeping there and eating and...! And actually having fun and playing and wanting to go on his childcare days. In the baby's room, each child had their own "routine" on the whiteboard and this was adjusted depending on the child and day. So if DS1 woke up extra early that day, they'd note down he'd need a nap a bit earlier than normal. So, yes, some centres can give babies individual routines!

One place we looked at actually let kids cry. Full stop. If they cried. Let them cry. One poor bub was about 2 years old and he was hysterical the whole time we were there (over an hour). The carers said that he cries from the time he's dropped off until he has a sleep after lunch. Once he has a sleep he is fine. They said he probably needed a morning sleep but that wasn't part of their "routine" for the room. OMG. I just wanted to pick him up and cuddle him. And then, the absolute corker, I met his mum. I was at a conference, got talking to someone who mentioned she lived in the same suburb as me and we started talking about cc and then she mentioned her kid was at this particular centre. She said he cries most of the time he's there...he's been crying for a year! I asked her if his name was X and she said, "oh, you saw him there? Was he crying?". WTF?

DS1 is now in the toddlers room and they all have the same "routine" but this also works well because they all sleep at the same time and so none are waking each other up by sleeping and waking at different times. DS1 has some killer long sleeps there...I'm so jealous I can't get those good day sleeps out of him at home!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thanked you Share a Book, for starting the thread, which puts a little "thumbs up" picture on it, which seems kinda wrong as this is clearly not a thumbs up situation but what I meant was this is a very worthwhile topic to discuss, and while it's the most disturbing thing I've read in a while and keeps playing on my mind, I think this forum can help to open peoples eyes to the potential risks of trusting strangers with our children and give parents more confidence in their intuition. If your gut says the care centre isn't right then us parents should listen to that. Our instincts are usually right.
    I also hope that this turns into a "name and shame" thread (or another thread is started for that purpose) because, as I said earlier, if my kid was in a centre like the awful ones described here, then I'd want to know what was going on ASAP and my kid would be out of there!
    Also, I wanted to send hugs out to those people who have had their kids in centres like the one described or who feel their children's care may be below standard but feel they have no option for change. A couple of colleagues of mine decided to both work 3 days a week (different days) and each cared for the others child on their days off (except the one day they both had off). It worked well for them. Meant they had no child care costs but also they knew their child's carer. The babies were very young and close in age and have a really lovely bond. I guess I just wanted to share that story to show that sometimes "child care" isn't what you imagined and when you think there are no other options, sometimes there may be!

mummabec is offline I could hold you for a million years, to make you feel my love
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that is truly shocking! Absolutely abuse!! So very sad!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For all those who don't believe it is possible to have a mostly calm, individualized babies or toddlers room haven't been in the rooms I have worked in...
    Totally possible!! I baby wore, rocked, patted, cuddled babies all day!! Whatever worked for them at home, we did!!! Some days I felt like I stayed in the rocking chair in the sleep room all day, one baby down, one up, bottles, another baby down, another one up etc.

There are high quality centers out there.

Places like this give all child care centers and workers bad names.... It is insulting to an industry who already doesn't get the recognition we deserve to have people like this who obviously don't want to be in the job behaving like this....

Deplorable......

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to chicken and eggs mum For This Useful Post:

Berrie  (19-02-2012),Busy-Bee  (20-02-2012),Cue  (18-02-2012),kriista  (19-02-2012),lulululu  (18-02-2012),PurpleButterfly4  (19-02-2012),smootch  (19-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I doubt anyone thinks their children will be cared for as well as they are at home, except in the case of multiples. One might wake up screaming but then be left until a nappy change is finished before being seen to, which could be up to 3 minutes, but that can happen at home if a parent has more than 1 baby. Whereas an only child at home is morelikely to be seen to instantly. But that is far different from leaving them cry for up to 2 hours because someone decides they should be in bed at those times. And too bad if they scream for hours then fall asleep exhausted, the carer pulls them out of bed at wake up time even if they were only asleep 10 minutes. Unacceptable! No parent should be ok with their baby being treated in an awful manner!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    I doubt anyone thinks their children will be cared for as well as they are at home, except in the case of multiples. One might wake up screaming but then be left until a nappy change is finished before being seen to, which could be up to 3 minutes, but that can happen at home if a parent has more than 1 baby. Whereas an only child at home is morelikely to be seen to instantly. But that is far different from leaving them cry for up to 2 hours because someone decides they should be in bed at those times. And too bad if they scream for hours then fall asleep exhausted, the carer pulls them out of bed at wake up time even if they were only asleep 10 minutes. Unacceptable! No parent should be ok with their baby being treated in an awful manner!
    I keep thinking what Erik Erickson would think of this

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little-Pink-Hen For This Useful Post:

share a book  (18-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh it makes me so angry. I truly want to slap those *****es. And I'm not a violent person at all. And I can't stop thinking of those poor little babies. The kid in the cupboard. The ones getting told they are ugly so have to wait for food. God it's all so horrible. Makes me wanna cry. Poor poor babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by chicken and eggs mum View Post
    For all those who don't believe it is possible to have a mostly calm, individualized babies or toddlers room haven't been in the rooms I have worked in...
    Totally possible!! I baby wore, rocked, patted, cuddled babies all day!! Whatever worked for them at home, we did!!! Some days I felt like I stayed in the rocking chair in the sleep room all day, one baby down, one up, bottles, another baby down, another one up etc.

There are high quality centers out there.

Places like this give all child care centers and workers bad names.... It is insulting to an industry who already doesn't get the recognition we deserve to have people like this who obviously don't want to be in the job behaving like this....

Deplorable......
    The majority of centres I have worked in have been like that, too. Very responsive, in tune with the babies. Good relationships with babies and their families. Fun, happy workers looking after happy, settled babies. In fact they strive to be a 'home away from home' for the children who attend there.

It's also great to see that people are not ok with it. That it really is seen as unacceptable. I do urge parents to make reports if anything is wrong. If the director brushes you off, go higher. There is alwats another rung in the ladder. Keep going until somebody listens.

LPH: I would be happy working with you, too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not on. I would pull him out and change kindy ASAP

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lulululu View Post
    Gosh it makes me so angry. I truly want to slap those *****es. And I'm not a violent person at all. And I can't stop thinking of those poor little babies. The kid in the cupboard. The ones getting told they are ugly so have to wait for food. God it's all so horrible. Makes me wanna cry. Poor poor babies
    The kid in the cupboard was horrible, how scary! A special naughty corner? What a way to explain it away!

The one who called babies ugly and made them wait to be fed was only in cc a short time and now works in a prison.

I remember working relief in a centre a while ago and this worker was yelling at the kids, name calling, being really rough so I took them all outside and told her to clean, then opened the door to another room and called for the assistant to send out the director. She came out and I told her what happened and she said it happened another time a week earlier so she was counselled, and because it happened again she was sent on stress leave for a minimum 4 weeks, but could only return if they felt she was fit to be around kids. People can't be left to behave that way, directors need to take action. I know in small centres with contact directors the line between boss and friend can blur, but the wellbeing of children needs to always come first.