ADVERTISEMENT

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Questions about basic training, Please help!

Hi,
    my hubby just started basic training and I haven't recieved anything to tell me how to address letter to him correctly ( I know his details though) and also when he will be marching out and if anything is paid for or if I have to cover costs. Im so confused and dont know who I need to call to ask as hubby has only rang once so far.
    any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated as I feel very in the dark.
    Thanks in advance!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi there!
    It's normal to have a heap of questions, whilst they explain everything to you when you join up they don't really give you the nitty gritties until you're already there *chuckle*.

The answers will depend on a few things, which service did he join? While you're separated, you'll be entitled to a reunion travel payment, which will either be in the form of them booking train/plane tickets for you to get there, or they'll pay an allowance to your hubby for him to pass on to you if you're traveling by car. You can use this during his stay in basic, but most people leave it until the march out parade so that they don't have to fork out to get there.

When it comes to contact, don't be surprised if you don't hear from him too often. The justification is that he's learning to lean on his mates and trust them to be his confidants. It's a bit brutal for those stuck at home, but I have to say that I agree that it's a very important process.

When it comes to addressing letters,

For Army;
    "Recruit {name},
    ____ Pl, ____ Coy,
    1st Recruit Training Battalion,
    1RTB, Blamey Barracks,
    MILPO KAPOOKA,
    NSW, 2661.

For Air Force, it's;
    "AC/R {name},
    PMKeys number,
    Course number,
    1RTU, RAAF BASE WAGGA,
    Forest Hill, NSW 2651"

And for Navy;
    "Recruit (surname & initials) PMKeys number
    Division Intake Number,
    RAN Recruit School,
    HMAS CERBERUS VIC 3920

When he's marching out will also depend on his service as each one has a slightly different amount of time in basic. There's also (which they don't tell you about until you get there) the possibility of being back-coursed if you don't pass vital parts like first aid, or weapons handling. You can also get back-coursed due to injury if they think you need enough time recovering that you'd miss out on too much. Back-coursing usually means you get stuck back another 2 weeks, or occasionally 4 depending on the reason and how far behind you the next course is.

I know that sounds very doom and gloom, but it's better to be informed. It doesn't happen that often but it's good to be aware of the possibility.

And finally, I'll put the joining instructions for each service below. There's phone numbers for each in them and a few other bits and pieces that might help.

Army: http://content.defencejobs.gov.au/pd...structions.pdf
    Navy: http://content.defencejobs.gov.au/pd...s_20080806.pdf
    Air Force: http://www.airforce.gov.au/1rtu/imag...20-%202011.pdf

Hope that helps, please feel free to PM me if you have other questions. If I can't answer them I should hopefully be able to point you in the right direction

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your reply. He has joined the Army as a rifleman. So I guess I'll just wait to book travel then for his march out until I hear from him about it.
    Thats great they pay for you to get there for the march out, very helpful. Do they give you the travel reunion payment close to the march out date or whenever you request it?

I've heard from him twice and now he has started going to church so he can call me after, lol.
    Yes, I feel very out of the loop so far haha but thats ok. Your info was really helpful so thanks again!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amesss View Post
    Do they give you the travel reunion payment close to the march out date or whenever you request it?
    I think they will actually contact you directly closer to the day, either that or they'll ask your hubby to give them the details when it comes time. As I said, it kinda depends because all three services do things a little differently. Makes things tricky at times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My hubby went through recruits for the RAAF recently, so I feel ya! All I can say is just try to relax and go with the flow as much as you can. They will give your hubby info on a need-to-know basis, and he'll tell you what/when he can. I know it's hard but just try and be there for him as much as you can and not stress him out nagging him about what's going to happen with you. Not that I'm saying that's what you're doing by any means. But it's always good to keep in mind.

My hubby went in when I was 3 months pregnant so I know how hard it can be not knowing what's going on!

How it all worked for us to get to the graduation parade was I booked the flights to get to Wagga, then my hubby had to hand in a form and attach copies of my tickets. They then reimbursed him to his nominated bank account. They told him they couldn't reimburse until after the date of travel, but I think it ended up going through before hand from memory. They don't pay for accomm, just travel costs.

I'm not sure when they give you dates, times etc for the parade, but I know they do encourage you to book tickets as late as you can, just in case he gets back-coursed. They will definitely not reimburse you for costs you incur if you have to change your travel plans.

I guess when he knows you'll know, and just go from there!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok great, I've been told by hubby that they have actually booked my accomodation- but im definetly going to call tomorrow and ask. only 38 more days to go! :/ still sounds like a lot, lol. Next battle is trying to organise travelling with my (almost) 1 yr old and trying to keep him under control at march out haha.
    ahh I can't imagine being pregnant and having to go through this, I feel for you. Hubby us going to miss our little one's 1st bday in 2 weeks but I guess its just part of the deal.
    Im trying to stay positive all of the time for him and I write him letters every night and send him pics of our boy.
    I can't wait until basic and IET is over and we get a posting. Hopefully time flies.

Shortiii is offline Baby H v2.0 - Anticipating April release
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My husband is at kapooka doing basic training for reserves at the moment. He's due back on Saturday ( I think? Haven't been told much) I have maybe talked to him for 10minutes in the last month

I am 36 weeks pregnant with a 2.5 yr old and haven't even been able to tell him I have to be induced because of health problems. It's been so stressful... I'm really hating the army right now. I'm proud of him and glad he's doing something he enjoys, but I really wish our family was coming first, he wants to do his patrolmans course in may also... I don't know how well I'll handle a newborn and my special needs son. I just wish I could talk to him to let him know what's going on.

I know how frustrating it is and really feel for those who have their other half doing the full basic training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    hi shortiii,
    they should have supplied you with a phone number to call incase of emergencies. Have they not sent you anything out about incase of emergency? are you being induced before saturday? you poor thing! My hubby only joined so we have a chance to get ahead- we were just sick of struggling. ten mins of phone time is hard, I hope you have family there to help you.