+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    473
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked
    138
    Reviews
    1

    Default I know I shouldn't worry, but....

    My DS who is just over 9 months still isn't crawling. He is able to be on his tummy and push up on his arms, sits very well unassisted (just started this at 7.5months) and can roll over but very rarely.

    I haven't been too worried as I know that all kids are different but it seems that all of the kids in our mothers group are crawling, standing and some even walking! He is the only one left who isn't....

    I guess I'm just after some reassurance....any other late bloomers out there?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Maitland
    Posts
    786
    Thanks
    65
    Thanked
    66
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Xander was like this, it was stressing me no end. I wish I had just relaxed now as he did it when he was ready to (at 9 months too). Some just like to take their time, all I did was encourage belly time and played with him trying to encourage him to reach for items etc.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    1,002
    Thanks
    268
    Thanked
    641
    Reviews
    1
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im pretty sure the average age for boys to start crawling is between 8-10 months so I wouldnt worry.(Easier said than done I know). How is the rest of his development? Its great that he can sit unassisted as this is one of the first things they look for in children who are late developers. Can he grab objects with both hands and stand if you hold his hands?

    It may be that he just doesnt like rolling over....the fact that he has done it before shows he is physically capable.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    19,600
    Thanks
    3,256
    Thanked
    4,044
    Reviews
    8
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Some bubs are late crawlers, some bubs go from crawling to walking in a couple of weeks, some bubs dont ever crawl (skip straight to pulling themselves up) some bubs become 'bum shufflers' because they prefer to be sitting up right and learn how to scoot themselves along because they don't like laying on their fronts.

    Try not to worry. Try to enjoy the peace before the storm because when they get mobile they just keep getting faster until they can outrun you

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,716
    Thanks
    188
    Thanked
    364
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hope this makes you feel better - my DD only started crawling at 11 1/2 months - just a few weeks ago. It looks like she will be walking very soon. She could pull herself up in furniture before she could crawl. Now she has had a developmental growth spurt - all of a sudden she can crawl, walk on furniture, clap her hands, and is so much more interactive. I agree every bub is different. I found that DD could talk before the others in mothers group but was physically behind. I think you really dont have to worry. He will do it in his own time - somehow it just clicks with them one day.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    473
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked
    138
    Reviews
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    Im pretty sure the average age for boys to start crawling is between 8-10 months so I wouldnt worry.(Easier said than done I know). How is the rest of his development? Its great that he can sit unassisted as this is one of the first things they look for in children who are late developers. Can he grab objects with both hands and stand if you hold his hands?

    It may be that he just doesnt like rolling over....the fact that he has done it before shows he is physically capable.
    He's great at grabbing things with both hands and reaches right over to get things when he's sitting up. Even on his belly he can reach too but just gets cranky REALLY quickly. He does push up with his feet when we hold him upright but I wouldn't say standing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    Some bubs are late crawlers, some bubs go from crawling to walking in a couple of weeks, some bubs dont ever crawl (skip straight to pulling themselves up) some bubs become 'bum shufflers' because they prefer to be sitting up right and learn how to scoot themselves along because they don't like laying on their fronts.

    Try not to worry. Try to enjoy the peace before the storm because when they get mobile they just keep getting faster until they can outrun you
    I hear you! He doesn't have teeth yet either so I should just enjoy my extended 'baby' time! I am trying not to worry, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything to worry about. I guess it's a little early to stress, it's not like he's 5 and not crawling!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    473
    Thanks
    229
    Thanked
    138
    Reviews
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by happy2bmum View Post
    I hope this makes you feel better - my DD only started crawling at 11 1/2 months - just a few weeks ago. It looks like she will be walking very soon. She could pull herself up in furniture before she could crawl. Now she has had a developmental growth spurt - all of a sudden she can crawl, walk on furniture, clap her hands, and is so much more interactive. I agree every bub is different. I found that DD could talk before the others in mothers group but was physically behind. I think you really dont have to worry. He will do it in his own time - somehow it just clicks with them one day.
    Thank you!! This is the exact response I was looking for DS has been talking since 7 months and was the first out of his peers too so very similar to your DD. I always joke that he'll be the one sitting in the corner ordering all of the other babies around

    You have made me feel better, thanks

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked
    25
    Reviews
    0
    My 1st was like this:

    Crawling - 12 months
    Walking - 16 months

    I was worried to as it was my 1st and everyone else's child had started already.

    Try not to worry all kids do things in their own time.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet Tooth For This Useful Post:

    MilkiCuddles  (19-02-2012)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    488
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked
    49
    Reviews
    0
    To help put your mind at ease even further, my DS didn't crawl at all! He staredt standing holding onto furniture at around 10 mths and then he started walking with assistance at about 11 mths. Once he started walking on his own (at 12mths) he would occasionally crawl, but he never crawled before he could walk!

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to SpiritofaWarrior For This Useful Post:

    MilkiCuddles  (19-02-2012)

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Country NSW
    Posts
    904
    Thanks
    296
    Thanked
    152
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't worry until he is 1 (and then I would iykwim). I've had some late and most around the 9 mths - but that can be just 9mths or nearly 10mths! I think first babies can be a bit slower, too. I wouldn't be stressing yet.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsd For This Useful Post:

    MilkiCuddles  (19-02-2012)


 

Similar Threads

  1. DS is nearly 6 and only 19.5kg - do I worry
    By ICanDream in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24-06-2012, 12:28
  2. Can't help but worry.!!!
    By GlitterFarts in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 25-05-2012, 14:36
  3. are we right to worry?
    By YMo7 in forum Body image and eating disorders
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-05-2012, 13:17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
FEATURED SUPPORTER
ProSwimProSwim Rostrevor runs learn to swim classes for children and adults. Lessons are run during the Summer months ...
FORUMS - chatting now ...
CoQ10 yay or nay?Conception & Fertility General Chat
Transitioning out of swaddlesBabies (3 - 6 months)
Amazing August TTCConception & Fertility General Chat
Stroller for travelProduct Recommendations & Questions
Joyous June/July TTC! #2Conception & Fertility General Chat
REVIEWS
"Made bed time less anxious"
by Meld85
My Little Heart Whisbear - the Humming Bear reviews ›
"Wonderful natural Aussie made product!"
by Mrstwr
Baby U Goat Milk Moisturiser reviews ›
"Replaced good quality with cheap tight nappies"
by Kris
Coles Comfy Bots Nappies reviews ›