+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Link between pregnancy and stress?

I have a question for other Hubbers: how much stress is enough to cause miscarriage? I'm 10.5 weeks and have had a really bad 2 weeks with DH. Been at breaking point really and in tears every night. This makes me really uneasy as I'm in the early stages of pregnancy. I try to not work myself up because i realise stress is not good for bub but its easier said than done...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry not much but words of encouragement, try not to stress about stressing. Unfortunately, easier said than done. I had to come to acceptance that miscarriage is a common occurance when I nearly lost ds at 8 weeks.

Good luck and try to take some time out. I used to do stretching, workout (with a heart rate monitor) just to get some of the negative stuff out.

loop is offline Two kiddos keeping me on my toes :-)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont know if you can actually cause a healthy pregnacy to miscarry by the stress you are discribing. Majour life threatening events (wars, earthquakes ect) maybe, but even then children were born healthy. It is awful going through relationship troubles, especially at this time, but I dont think it would be the sole cause of a loss.
    To help you relax, try rescue remedy from a health food shop. You can get it in lollie/capsule form so without alcohol. I find it really helps me calm down. I have some anxiety and sometimes stress withe, nothing you are discribing, but still you might want to give the rescue stuff a go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Early on, stress can affect ovulation but not conception.

I think that when people say stress can cause miscarriage they mean serious illness or death in the family etc..

I'm sorry to hear you are having a bad time
    Last edited by Mummy2MissA; 15-02-2012 at 22:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was pregnant with dd1 I was in a great deal of stress. Her 'father' walked out and said some quite emotionally abusive things to me that haunted me for a long time. I was essentially homeless and my step father was making my life hell. The the 'father' took me back and said he'd stick by me only to walk out again 2 days later. So in all that I was an emotional basketcase. I'm not sure about the relation of stress and miscarriage, but I managed to carry dd to term without even a hint of something going wrong.
    HTH
    I'm sorry you're going through a crappy time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hugs, so sorry you're going through a cruddy time.
    I don't think stress will make your chances any different to miscarriage at 10weeks, I know it can screw up you from ovulating.

I have been stressed in fear of miscarriage so I was at hospital so much they told me to go back to my councilor to sort my brain out.

Hope things get better for you soon. Xx

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Miscarriage Myths
    Sometimes after your miscarriage you will remember straining to lift something, worry over the three martinis you drank before you took the pregnancy test, or wonder if you should have still been working out. None of this matters. Miscarriage happens, whether we do our best to prevent it or not. Here is a list of commonly blamed factors that are NOT causes of miscarriage. These things do NOT cause miscarriage:
    Stress. All mothers worry about their babies. Many experience traumatic life events during pregnancy, such as family deaths, even deaths of children or the baby's father. You will get through it, and your baby will too. As a strong case in point, over 50 women were pregnant when their husbands died on September 11 in a terrorist attack on the United States. Their babies are arriving, kicking and squawling, despite the pregnancy occurring during the absolute worst days of their mothers' lives.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi, just wanted to add some info about my post above; (sorry it wouldn't let me add anything more after I copied and pasted the details)

You can read the full article at this website:
    http://www.pregnancyloss.info/myths.htm

I actually found it very reassuring after I was going through a similar situation as you a couple weeks back.
    Hope it helps

Also (and this may be a sensitive subject matter for some readers), I remember reading about the mother in the Queensland floods who was pregnant and got stuck in flood waters, her baby toddler was swept away right out of her arms. I remember thinking, how in God's name does a mother get through such tragedy? And she managed to give birth to the baby she was pregnant with and continued to have a healthy pregnancy. So it just goes to show, our bodies are made of tough stuff!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know exactly what your going through, although I was 16 weeks when my Husband decided to drop a bomb on me.. We tried to make things work for several weeks unfortunately his work took him away from home and when he come back he left me.. I stressed pretty much my whole pregnancy, to the point where I ended up in hospital due to panic attacks. I went two weeks over according to my due date so the stress certainly didn't have any effect on making bub appear earlier!
    He is now a very happy healthy 5 month old!! Just try and stress less hard I know!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys that's the kind of reassurance I needed