+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes they can. I believe that all religious schools must allow a certain percentage of non religious students to be enrolled in the school to be eligible for some government assistance?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is there a difference in extra assistance/extension of learning with gifted kids? Just as my daughter is very advanced for her age and I like the idea of schools or classes that push this..... I had heard that some catholic schools have smaller class sizes and more assistance for kids? Am I right on that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tashaplus2 View Post
    Is there a difference in extra assistance/extension of learning with gifted kids? Just as my daughter is very advanced for her age and I like the idea of schools or classes that push this..... I had heard that some catholic schools have smaller class sizes and more assistance for kids? Am I right on that?
    It depends on the school. I chose based on our family values and beliefs, and my dd's additional needs. For my particular child, that school meets her emotional and academic needs, but we do have a couple of good public schools too, just not anywhere near us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank u for that - I am going to Townsville in April to have a look at the two - so hard to know what to look out for! Especially since I only know the nz schooling system not Oz! Eeeeeek decisions. Any tips on what to look for?

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by tashaplus2 View Post
    Depends on the school ... the catholic school DD1 attended in Brisbane had class sizes of 28-34. When we moved to a regional area there were 2 catholic schools I was looking at ... one had 2 x classes in the year level we needed with 30 in each. The other had 3 x classes with 20 in each.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, you're not right on that. Each school irrespective of whether they are religious or not depends on the quality of its teaching staff, class numbers, funding and cirriculum. My child's class is presently 36 in number. His prep class was 29. It also depends on what you mean by advanced. A lot of schools don't push the 'gifted' aspect but treat the class as a whole. If there's any exclusivity/extra assistance it's usually via extra cirricular activities organised by the parent. Our school, for example, has an after hours centre which parents are able to access should they require extra teaching assistance or educational assessment.

My child attends a Catholic school and he is not baptised as we do not attend church but we had to agree to allow our son to follow the school's ethos which we were happy to do. While there are other schools in the area which we looked at, we chose the Catholic school because it was closer to our home, it enforced a uniform, I liked the staff and it had a structured Sports Day.
    Last edited by Caviar; 15-02-2012 at 18:37. Reason: qualified the no

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes they can. DD is not baptised nor do we follow a religion (although I was bought up as catholic, but never practising catholic) but she is going to a Catholic school, my bil and sil are from a non religious family and went to a catholic school. I know here it goes in order of priority- so families who already have a child/ren attending the school, and those who identify as catholic and follow the sacriments etc get priority over, say, people like me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So much great advice - thank u all! Such food for thought!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    They can, but I think baptised children will get priority... the ones baptised in that particular faith and in the church linked will get even higher priority I believe.

As to your question about extra help for gifted children - this isn't exclusive to Catholic schools, not at all. It can really depend on the individual school, and some schools will be able to help while others will just seem hopeless. DD is above average and gets different home-readers, more difficult homework and spends 3 days of a week going to another class (a grade higher) to do literacy and numeracy with them because she just doesn't get enough of a challenge in her own year level. This is in a public school.