+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raising Leprechauns View Post
    Unethical or not - I'm all for castration. I do not believe the inclinations of these types of people can ever be changed. I believe they forfeited their right to ethical treatment when they first laid hands on a child.

Put him in the community by all means - just not in mine thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    This might sound stupid what does castration do and what is it? How would that solve anything?

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub
    I think that while the compulsion to interfere with children may have started below the waist, it takes on a life of its own and castration would only serve to make a non-rehabilitated offender angrier and the crimes more violent, resulting in more long term physical damage, on top of the emotional damage.

I actually get really annoyed at the media attention on D.F - to me it reinforces the stereotype that the people that hurt children are the deranged looking people like him, not the baby faced person down the road, or worse, in the lounge room. If the media is to be believed, he is the only offender in south east queensland.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (16-02-2012),Izy  (16-02-2012),Witwicky  (15-02-2012),WorkingClassMum  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Myztiks#1Fan View Post
    This might sound stupid what does castration do and what is it? How would that solve anything?

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub
    castration

How would castration solve anything - well I don't believe it would solve anything. It might make victims feel like retribution has been applied.

S3xual assault is not about having an orga5m, but rather it's about power, inflicting pain and forcing someone to share an experience.

Castrated SO's have still assaulted people, but the nature of the assualt/offence becomes more awful (if that's possible), and they often resort to using other things as a p3nis substitute and often inflict far worse injuries

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WorkingClassMum For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (16-02-2012),Izy  (16-02-2012),Witwicky  (15-02-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I think that while the compulsion to interfere with children may have started below the waist, it takes on a life of its own and castration would only serve to make a non-rehabilitated offender angrier and the crimes more violent, resulting in more long term physical damage, on top of the emotional damage.

I actually get really annoyed at the media attention on D.F - to me it reinforces the stereotype that the people that hurt children are the deranged looking people like him, not the baby faced person down the road, or worse, in the lounge room. If the media is to be believed, he is the only offender in south east queensland.
    Exactly. They actually don't often look like the stereotypical peodophile...they can be very young or very old, good looking or unattractive, approachable or creepy, businessmen or unemployed. Male or female. They rarely look like D.F.
    Last edited by Witwicky; 15-02-2012 at 23:52.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (16-02-2012),Izy  (16-02-2012),TheCheshireCat  (16-02-2012),WorkingClassMum  (15-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    [QUOTE=
    I actually get really annoyed at the media attention on D.F - to me it reinforces the stereotype that the people that hurt children are the deranged looking people like him, not the baby faced person down the road, or worse, in the lounge room. If the media is to be believed, he is the only offender in south east queensland.[/QUOTE]

Yes but in this case. This thread. I am not talking about every tom, **** and harry. I am talking about d.f living in my suburb. Hell, no one wants such an awful man living so close. Of course there are thousands of offenders that live around everyone. I am well aware of that and I think most people who have posted in this thread are aware of that too.

Of course you must be aware of who your children are exposed to like uncles, grandparents, brothers, neighbours, friends, strangers etc. BUT that's not my point here. My point is THIS pest is living near, a re-offender a dangerous man living in a HIGHLY known family orientated suburb.

THIS man doesn't deserve any right to normality! All this unethical, should be given rights is complete bullcr@p. He hasn't the know how to be remorseful to even feel a little guilty for the life long impacts he has made on his victims.

Again I am aware that he isn't the ONLY one out there. But he sure is one less that I shouldn't have to worry about. Where is my freedom and my children's when he has been in and out of goal re-offending and then given the right to live around us.

It honestly angers me greatly that those of you who suggest he have right's, he isn't the only one blah blah blah. I just HOPE to dear god you don't have to go through such pain that a victim does FOR LIFE, or your children because then you may view things a little more sensitively and not believe so much in "the offender's" rights.

YES he isnt the only one. But I sure as hell and furious that THIS man is in my suburb. That's fair!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's just so complicated. Sometimes I wonder if we should approach this problem as a mental health issue (being a problem related to social skills, substance abuse, attachment, empathy, past childhood trauma etc), which would mean shifting the focus to treatment. At the moment, convicted SOs will get a certain sentence as punishment for their crime and will be released after serving this time. They really can't justify keeping them incarcerated if they have served their punishment. If we focus more on helping these people recover (many have trauma histories, btw) we might see a reduction in reoffending... But it will require a real shift in thinking, which will be hard. It's just unfortunate that isolation and alienation can contribute to sex offending, ... So in some ways, and as incredibly hard as it is, to help SOs regain some kind of normality and connection in society (with appropriate supervision and monitoring!!) may actually reduce recidivism. These are general principles of course, and every person is different, which is what makes this issue so complicated. And these ideas are presented whilst also being absolutely clear that sexual offending is completely unacceptable. It's just such a tough issue - how to effect long term change with this problem whilst also validating the needs of victims, the rights of children, and the understandable anxiety of the community.
    Last edited by ABigDeepBreath; 16-02-2012 at 07:56.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (16-02-2012),Izy  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP...you know my thoughts on this as per our chat yesterday.

I wouldn't want him living in my suburb either, in fact I hate that he's living in my state.

Yeah yeah PP's, I get the whole "well he has to live somewhere" line and realise we're all at far greater risk of having our kids abused by someone we know (and/or trust) however that doesn't change the fact that D.F is scary. It does not make the OP's fears any less valid or real.

Massive hugs to anyone who's unnerved by this news, particularly those who have survived childhood abuse xo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post

It honestly angers me greatly that those of you who suggest he have right's, he isn't the only one blah blah blah. I just HOPE to dear god you don't have to go through such pain that a victim does FOR LIFE, or your children because then you may view things a little more sensitively and not believe so much in "the offender's" rights.

YES he isnt the only one. But I sure as hell and furious that THIS man is in my suburb. That's fair!
    Woah back off. I'm sorry for your pain but no one on this thread has suggested that he has rights, or not treated this thread with sensitivity. You are actually being very insensitive to every poster now. It IS possible to not be a vigilante and understand the logistics of a situation without advocating his rights. YOU don't know what kind of sexual abuse any of us, or children may have had to go through, so I suggest you calm it down a little, contact your MP and do something pro active, because attacking members who are just trying to help diffuse the situation with logic and empathy, will get you no where.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexander Beetle For This Useful Post:

Tam-I-Am  (17-02-2012),Witwicky  (16-02-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, big hugs, I can imagine it would be really unnerving knowing that a KNOWN SO is living nearby. Someone asked, what would we do if he lived next door? Honestly, I don't know. They idea of it makes me very scared and upset, I would honestly feel I couldn't let the kids play outside (in our own backyard) regardless of the fact that the people already living next door could be just as bad.

It is true though that our children are so much more likely to be hurt by someone we know, and I have to ask- in relation to this quote-
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    I know 11 woman and 1 man who were sexually abused as children. I am one of them.
    How many of them were abused by a stranger? I know its a really sensitive topic and I hope its ok that I asked, its just that everyone I know who was abused as a child (both male and female), it was by a family member, mostly uncle or stepfather.

I do agree that someone like DF has given up his right to live a 'normal' life, like you said he took away his victims' chance at living a 'normal' life, and has not shown any remorse. However, he is still a person, and as such, can't be castrated (and as others have said- it doesn't solve the issue anyway). I agree his sentence should haven been much much longer, maybe with parole depending on his chances at rehabilitation? I dunno.

I guess the only comfort in this situation is that at least you KNOW that he is not safe to be around, compared to all the unknowns, i guess I'd rather know if I couldn't trust someone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be horrified 1CrazyMoose.

We may be unaware of who amongst our neighbours, friends or family could be a SO or a potential SO, doesn't mean a lot of us aren't alert to the possibility though. But D.F is a known risk. Perhaps he's not a big risk to me personally because maybe I've got bars on my windows and maybe I am a "dilligent" parent, but not every child is so lucky and its completely acceptable to worry for those children too. I'm so thankful that some ppl in this world feel the same as I do and worry not only for their own but for those less fortunate too. Suggesting ppl ignore the known risk in their backyard in favour of focussing on the unknown is ridiculous IMO. Ppl are more than capable of worrying about more than one thing at a time - c'mon as parents don't we all do this day in day out?

Just because there is more risk of X happening does not mean its not completely justified to be worried about Y happening too.

Besides, not one of these posters who suggests ppl focus on there being more risk from uncles etc. would feel comfortable with this guy living next door to them...

Thanks
    Reviews
    As another person on this thread said, he is being monitored VERY closely. This is one reason why he isn't out in the sticks. There must be enough agencies around who can support him (he must be monitored daily), and the community. For example, the cant send him to live in an area with a high population of non-English speakers (migrants). It would be too easy for him out there to offend again because the need for secrecy is too easy. His placement has been carefully considered.

Im not saying he should have been released, or that where he is is the best place for him, and I can certainly understand why people don't want him anywhere near them or their families. I'm just trying to give you some facts and information on how decisions are made "behind the scenes".

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wickedly Happy For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (16-02-2012),Witwicky  (16-02-2012)