+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Stuck in cot - help.

OMG, this has happened twice today - I have heard Max quietly wailing after only being asleep for a short while. I went into his room, and he had turned onto his tummy and had his legs hanging right through the slats on the side of the cot. He was stuck. I had to give him quite a firm push to get his legs back through again

What can I do other than use a cot bumper (which I thought were banned?)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh wow, poor bubby and poor mama! You're right about cot bumpers, they're pretty dangerous because wee ones heads can become stuck under them. My son has always slept in an adult bed, so nothing he can become caught in but you can buy great bed rails to keep stop them rolling out. I hope you find a solution! *hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son has always slept with a bumper. He still gets his legs in between the rails but he manages to pull them out himself. Maybe you could put a piece of board in between the materess and the cot rails. But I find that bumpers are fine!!

drewid is offline Meet the amazing boy who falls asleep with a sandwich in his mouth!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We use a bumper, but it is actually tucked right down the side of the cot so bubby can't get his hands or head under it at all. Its tied securely to the outside of the cot in about 10 places too, so very secure.

He likes to move himself around the cot by kicking the side of the cot to help rotate himself and he's been bruising his poor little legs. So this is just to save the bruises and stop him from getting trapped between the bars.

We do keep a close eye on his sleeping behaviour though and as soon as he starts to get more interested in trying to pull it down and play with it, it will be outta there! At the moment he doesn't even seem to realise its something he CAN play with, its just something nice to look at (it has cute little sea creatures on it).

Anyway its a hard decision to make, some of the ones in the stores really aren't very safe, but we shopped around a lot and bought one we felt didn't pose a significant risk for our purposes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used cot bumpers with both of my kids, and they still managed to get stuck! So i think if they want to get stuck they will.

Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    When Daniel started doing this, I transferred him into his portacot fulltime ... he was only 5 months old and it was a definite "Mum sanity" measure!

This meant that if he rolled over, the worst that would happen is he would wake with the imprint of the mesh side on his face (which went away quickly!)!

I just got a good portacot mattress, packed up the wooden cot and got my good nights sleep back!

Worked for us, it may work for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe I could put a piece of mesh along the side of the cot. Would that be safe?

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ds always slept on a matress on the floor at that age, with pillows to stop him rolling off, and the best part of it was he would come to find me when he had woken up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cathy
    Mesh along the side of the cot could be safe but it will depend how you attach it. DD1 got her legs stuck out of the cot a couple of times but before I had a chance to do anything about it she stopped doing it, so I am not much help. i often find DD2 fast asleep with legs out of the cot - it doesn't seem to bother her at all! So I don't have any solution other than to suggest waiting a few days to see if it happens again - he might have learnt not to do it?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default He'll work it out

Hi Cathy
    Maybe I'm just unimaginative, but I just put up with this for the few weeks it took until DDs worked out how to get back in the cot. They both learnt to fix this themselves within about 3 weeks (I think). It won't last very long, so maybe not worth doing anything about?

Cheers