+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Making and selling hampers

Does anybody make and sell hampers??? I love making them as gifts and always thought it would be a good idea to sell . So im after any info that people may have or just your 2 cents worth. So far off the top of my head ive made a 5 yr boy and girl baking one (was a mixing bowl wooden spoon a packet mix of cookies or cupcakes silicon cup cake moulds ect) and also a 11 yr olds beauty mix (lipgloss, toe seperaters, nail polish, poof ball, body wash) it was in a nice box with pink and white tissue paper and a feather boa looked amazing if i do say so myself and the mum and aunt were impressed too.

So even any ideas on other hampers would be great too TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 2 cents:
    I have thought about the same thing. I love making hampers. Once I looked in to buying hampers and they were so expensive to buy pre made. I figured if I were to make hampers, I would be buying things at RRP (including GST) and then adding a bit on for profit. It would be cheaper for people to make their own hampers, rather than buy mine. Unless of course you can buy things wholesale or get a discount somewhere.

Then I thought about nappy cakes and how they are similar (expensive, cheaper to make yourself), but they have the edge of looking like cakes (or bikes, presents etc). So people buying them know they are expensive but part of what they are paying for is the "art" of what they look like.

Additionally, I thought about how often I would make a hamper (or want/need), once in a blue moon for a special occasion. Its not something people buy all the time.

Just a few things to think about. What would be your "edge"?

I hope I havent disappointed you, but hopefully helped you think it through a little more.

ETA: Think about the reasons why you dont buy hampers yourself (or why others dont buy hampers), then think about how you can fix those reasons with your product.
    Last edited by LoveHeart; 09-02-2012 at 19:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Bumping for you.

I know of one lady in my area that does this on FB and she sells alot (mostly nappy cakes) Not something I'd buy though as I could do it easily myself. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    we live in a small country town (major store being target country) next closet city being 4 hours away and perth 7 hours there really isnt anythihng here. Unless i did find a bulk website/dealer it may not be worth it $$$ wise. I tend to make them monthly for various people. If i did start and people thought why buy that when i could buy it cheaper i kinda need a spin or something to set them apart from the rest (that still in the works)

I also want to think outside the norm which would be nappy cakes off the top of my head, so that could be something different. Ive never known what i wanted to do career wise but evertime i start a hamper for someone the creative juices start flowing and i love it so even if its not a business i dont mind i have 3 kids who are just starting school so the bday parties will be fun to do